HELP!!! how do i make my 2 yr old give up the pacifier?

I also posted this in IMHO’s, but I think it should have gone here.

My 2 year old needs to get rid of her pacifier, and my wife and I are struggling with it.

I was hoping for some new ideas for you guys on how to help with this.

My dad put cayenne pepper on mine, much to my Mothers objection. Needless to say, it worked. Although it may be breaking several child abuse laws nowadays.

A friend of mine cut a little piece off every night (after the kid went to bed) and talked about it with the kid. She said that the binky was getting ready to leave, and see? It’s getting smaller. Little by little, the kid just said goodbye to it. I don’t know if she’ll like the texture of it being cut off, but it might work.

We gathered up all of our pacifiers except three. When one was “lost” we would look for it then explain that now we only had two. When we had one pacifier left it would get “lost” before nap time more and more until we didn’t need it for naps. Then we did the same thing for night time. The process took about three weeks, but there wasn’t much fuss.

Good luck that was easy for us, now it’s “stinky in the tinky.”

How did the little tyke get weaned from breast feeding? You might try the same technique with the pacifier. One way that some “child-rearing experts” recommend is just to get rid of all the pacifiers at once. Sort of a “cold turkey” remedy. I guess it’s the old “out of sight, out of mind” method - but that does seem rather extreme. My youngster just lost interest in pacifiers. She wouldn’t pick one up, even when they were available. We were able to just make them go away and nothing more was ever said about them.

The two-year-old needs to get rid of it? Or you guys do? :wink:

Seriously, if the child is already two, that can be a tough age to change anything.

Our oldest stopped using his pacifier on his own, somewhere between 1 & 2 years old, IIRC. But when we had another baby, we were worried he would want to pick it up again (at 2 1/2). We explained that they are only for babies, and he was cool about it.

Why is it so important that she give up her binky? She will eventually give it up on her own, and contrary to the UL, pacifiers will not cause kids to need braces on their permanent teeth, IIRC.

As long as she won’t be sucking on it during her high school graduation, who cares? Besides, the peer pressure in preschool will do the trick nicely, and you won’t be the bad guys!

You know those little clip & ribbon doo-dads that clip on to Junior’s clothing to keep from losing the binky? Well, clip the outfit to a small plush toy, so that Junior has to hold the plush toy (teddy bear, whatever) to enjoy binky. Every few days, clip it to a bigger plush toy. After while, Junior decides that binky is just too much hassle, while at the same time knowing that binky did not disappear from the universe.

A more radical approach might substitute a concrete block for the plush toy. YMMV.

What worked for both my brother and I was for our parents to tell us a few weeks before Christmas that “Santa Claus” had called and said that he would give us a special present in exchange for our passies. So, come the day that we went to the mall to see Santa, we brought all our pacifiers and gave them to the Santa there, and told him that we were giving our passies to him for {insert toy here}. It worked, so my parents say.

Of course, this would hinge on the parents wanting the children to believe in Santa, and a forgiving mall Santa (after all, who wants to be given a handful of pacifiers by a 2 year old?). My parents also led us to believe that this was a common practice, and most children gave their passies to Santa.

BTW, I got a toy piano for my pacifiers, my brother a tractor that you could ride on.

My son’s been binky-free for about 6 months now.

When he was about 2 and 1/2, we were having a “conversation” on the way home from Grandma and Grandpa’s house. I told him that when he turned 3, he’d have to get rid of his binkies and bottles, because they were for “babies”, and he was a “big boy” now. So I asked him what he was going to with all those binkies and bottles. He replied “I’m going to give them to a baby”- his idea!

So the next day, we gathered up all the binkies and bottles, put them in a shoebox and wrapped them up. My wife happened to have a co-worker who was very pregnant, so we brought my son and his shoebox full of binkies and bottles to work, and made a big deal of presenting the box to her. He seemed very happy to be able to help the baby out…

For the weeks that followed, he would inevitably find a binky here or there and pop it in his mouth; we just remind him that he was saving those for the baby. If he asked for a bottle at night, we would remind him that he gave all the bottles to the baby. This occured for about 2 weeks, then faded away completely.

We were completely amazed at how simple and painless the process was for us! :smiley:

My son only had one dummy (what you all call a binky). When he was two, he bit a hole in it and the rubber bit he sucked on went flat. I told him it was broken and we had to throw it away, he seemed quite content with that explanation.

But there are many other great plans here too!

Posting the same question in two different forums is called cross-posting and is not allowed here. You’re really looking for advice rather than facts, so IMHO is the appropriate forum. I’ll close this thread and direct further comment to the IMHO thread, http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=177955

bibliophage
moderator GQ