Our HP laserjet 1536dnf printer seems to be dying, and we are in the market for a new one. We need it to:
- Be a laser printer. not negotiable.
- photocopy, print, and scan
- have a document feeder
- do duplex automatically (two sided printing)
- fit on our 20"x15" table (the current one has trays that stick out, so maybe it’s closer to 20"x20", but all the weight is on the table)
- talk to the home network, so all the computers can print on it
Nice to have
- color: Are color laser printers reliable and affordable these days?
- fax: I can’t remember the last time we needed the printer to fax a document, but I suppose it might be nice to have
- hold most of a ream of paper
- wireless. The current one is connected with a wire to our internet modem, I think, and that has worked fine. But I think they mostly come wireless these days.
Every so often I want to print a bunch of pages at once, and this one overheats and the quality sucks. And then I have to reprint in dribs and drabs. That’s acceptable, as we don’t print in quantity very often. I would use color if we had it, but I’ve managed for a long time without.
Within those constraints, I am more interested in a reliable printer that will keep working with minimal fussing than I am in the cost.