Help me ID this country song (obscure)

For the life of me I can’t think of the name of this song or who sings it.

This is really obscure, bear with me.
It was on GAC classic the other week. It’s just the singer guy on stage by himself singing, and there’s these 3 guys that pop in periodically to sing the chorus or whatever. The only lyrics I can remember go something like “Why do you have to do me this way?”

I’m stuck on the notion that it’s Dwight Yoakam, but it seems like it would be older than anything he’s done.

Anyone have the slightest idea of what I’m talking about?

Well, if NYC had a country music radio station, I might be able to help you out…

:dubious:

Are you by any chance thinking of the Hee Haw bit when one of them would sing a borderline bawdy verse, then others would pop in singing:

Where, oh where, are you tonight?
Why did you leave me here all alone?
I searched the world over, and I thought I’d found true love,
You met another and (raspberry sound) you were gone.

No, thats not it. It was an actual song, it sounded pretty old, but not black-and-white old. I remember the guy danced kind of funny, like there was a shot from above looking down on him while he kind of swiveled his hips or something. But thanks for trying to help!

And Lola, no country music stations? That’s cruel and unusual punishment!

I stuck “do me this way” in google and came up with a Roger Miller song that might be it.

Wasn’t sure if it’d be okay to post the link or not, since it takes you directly to the lyrics.

Lots of other stuff comes up too – must be the “do me” part. :slight_smile:

AuntiePam, that wasn’t the song, but I used your idea and googled “do me this way” and Dwight Yoakam, and I found the song! I was right about the artist. The song is “Always Late With Your Kisses” by Dwight Yoakam. Thanks everyone! Thats one less thing that’ll be on my mind all day!

Is it “Singing the Blues”? It’s been done by Hank Williams and Randy Travis, and quite a few other singers.

Oh, I never felt more like singing the blues, cuz I never thought that I’d ever lose your love. dear. Why’d you do me this way?
I never felt more like crying all night, cuz everything’s wrong, and nothing ain’t right without you. You got me singing the blues.

That’s all that I remember.

Always Late With Your Kisses!!!

Jeeze, I play in a country band, we do that song, and I can’t even remember it!

And BTW, it was originally done by Lefty Frizzell, Number One for 12 weeks in 1951.

roadkiller, I have everything Dwight ever did (some even on LP) and that line wasn’t ringing any bells – glad you found it.