Help me identify a Japanese-German animated series from around 2004?

Last night, we were recalling this animated TV series we used to watch back around 2003 - 2004, and couldn’t remember the title or how we used to watch it.

Then today, I remembered a little bit more. The show used to come on after something else we used to watch, which was probably Six Feet Under. So that means it was on HBO.

As for the series itself, the art was very much in the anime style, with big round eyes on all of the characters, but it seems the dialog had originally been written in German, though with dubbed-in English for the American audience. The hint was in the subtitles, also in English, but from the wording I could tell that the original had been in German.

Does anyone else remember this show? We’d like to find out if we can stream it somewhere.

What was it about? Gunslingers wandering through some kind of post-apocalyptic wasteland? Wizards and dragons in a realm of fairy-tale castles? Crewmen on a starship having wacky outer-space adventures? Students at what seems to be a normal high school, except g-g-ghosts keep showing up?

Trigun
Slayers
Outlaw Star or Cowboy Bebop
??? - I can’t place the last one. I’ll just go with YuYu Hakusho even though that’s wrong.

For the OP, I don’t have enough information but nothing was ringing a bell.

Sorry to have muddied the waters; I didn’t have anything in mind for any of those; I was just tossing out hypothetical specifics in hopes that the OP would reply with, uh, actual specifics.