Help me identify this 1970s late night TV episode on which Ray Charles was a guest?

(Late night TV: I feel like it has to be either SNL or Fridays, but I can’t confirm the episode for either one.)

At some point in the late 1970s, I was watching a weekend late-night comedy sketch show, and Ray Charles was a guest. At some point during the show, when he was about to perform a number, he brought out and introduced several of his sidemen from way back, probably the 1950s, and told the audience he wanted to see if they could “still cut the mustard”. He introduced each horn player (they were all brass or sax players) by name, and they they did their song. (Of course they cut the mustard!)

So I’m curious if these other musicians were some of the same ones I’re read about in his autobiography, like Don Wilkerson and David “Fathead” Newman. I’d like to find a clip of this performance somewhere, but I’ve come up empty.

Ray Charles did appear on SNL, probably in the first season. It’s the episode where, at the end, the cast pretends to present him with a painting by Claude Monet, but the audience sees that the frame contains only a sign saying “PLEASE DON’T TELL HIM”! I’ve found that scene on YouTube, but not the scene that I’m asking about. It could have been on that same episode of SNL, but if it was, I haven’t been able to turn up a video clip.

“The Midnight Special” for 30 April 1976? That was a Friday.

[Ray] brought his Orchestra.

Bob Coassin, Johnny Coles, Luis Gasca, Jeff Conrad Jack Evans - trumpets; Ken Tussing, Henry Coker, Wally Huff - trombones; Bob Knedlik - bass trombone; Ed Pratt, Clifford Solomon - alto saxophones; Andy Ennis, James Clay - tenor saxophones, Bill Byrne - bariton saxophone; Scott von Ravensberg - drums; Tony Matthews - guitar; Jim Campbell - bass; Ernest Vantrease - keyboards.

Okay, it’s definitely SNL: third season, 1977. Available via Peacock, along with all the other SNL episodes. If you have Comcast/Xfinity, you should be able to get Peacock for free – you just need to sign up.

Yeah, Fathead Newman is in there.

I was in the studio audience for that show.

Yep, season 3 episode 5 of SNL at about 37:50 of the Peacock recording. I searched for a standalone clip having just watched the episode, but came up empty.

Thanks! I don’t have Peacock, but I’ll look into getting it. I’d love to watch some first-cast SNL regardless.

I signed up for Peacock and watched it, so thanks again for the info.

I used to dislike horn sections in popular/rock/R&B bands but lately I’ve come to appreciate them more, particularly how well they sound together. These guys sound like one instrument, and I can only imagine how much dedication and practice at ensemble playing it takes to get there.

Fathead Newman and Leroy Cooper I remember from reading about his 1950s band, and they were there.

I just watched my dvd of the Season 3 of SNL November 12, 1977, hosted by Ray Charles. The former group on this show consisted of Philip Gilbeau and Marcus Belgrave on trumpets, Hank Crawford on Baritone sax, David Fathead Newman" on alto sax, and Leroy Cooper on tenor sax. Specter, I probably saw commasense in one of the brief audience shots. Ironically, Ray’s first song was “I Can See Clearly Now”.

Ray said he liked President Jimmy Carter because Carter is from Plains, Georgia, which is near Ray’s early home in Albany, Georgia. He also said that Carter’s grandad owned Ray’s grandad.
Then Garrett Morris played Ella Fitzgerald doing a spoof on Mamorex tapes-which is real and which is tape and breaks a champagne glass and Ray’s dark glasses.
Then Howdy Doody’s marionette sister and wife lamented Howdy’s death.
Standup comic Franklyn Ajaye did a routine then and Ray reported that he (Ray) had taken the Evelyn Woodski slow reading course and he no longer gets blisters while reading Braille.