Help me over-analyze this dating situation (Am I in the Friend Zone?)

Red, I met a girl online a month ago too, I’ve had a toothbrush at her place for the past 3 weeks, so… good things can happen.

I’m no dating genius, guru or pro, but in my experience a good first date usually ends up with a hug and a few hand holds, a couple light touches. That contact barrier is tough, once you break through it, life becomes a lot easier, and hugs are really the easiest and least threatening and most “gentleman-ly” way to do it, and don’t grab her ass while you’re hugging her, yet.

Kissing, well, some people just suck at it, some are really good. Each person you are going to be with in your life is going to have a different rhythm, it takes a bit to find it sometimes. Closed mouth, that’s how you kiss your grandmother, just don’t try and suck her whole face into your mouth. Don’t act like a lizard, start slow and gentle, take your cues from her. You’ll figure it out, that’s the fun of the whole thing.

This reminds me of some friends of mine. I have known them both for years. They met online and found out by accident that they had a mutual friend in me. I got to hear about both sides of the dating thing while it was happening.

He was waiting for her to give him some indication that she was interested in more.

She was waiting for him to make a move.

They went out lots of times and enjoyed each other’s company but because both of them were waiting for something to “happen” nothing happened.

They eventually stopped dating because nothing was happening. I have no idea what they were waiting for. I still feel like they both could have made something “happen” but they were both waiting for the other to make the first move.

FTR, she’s 48 and he’s 53. People can remain clueless a long time. :slight_smile:

If you like her and if you want things to progress, show her or tell her. That is all.

People are using the word “date” a lot in this thread. What I’d like to know, Red Barchetta, is this: when you and the girl made arrangements to play pool, did you use the word “date” yourself in the invitation? I’m going to bet that the answer is no, because to me, it sounds like she’s not sure what to make of your intentions. If neither of you actually said it was a date, she may have no idea where she stands with you, either, which is why she might say something about the next time you “hang out,” so she doesn’t risk making a fool of herself if it turned out you didn’t consider it a date. Try responding to the phrase “hang out” with “sure, on our next date” and see what the reaction is.