Help me remember this late '80s song

In late 1987 and early 1988, there was a song that was frequently played on rock/pop stations in New England (and maybe across the country, but that’s where I was at the time). It was in a minor key, had a male vocalist, and had lyrics which suggested that the vocalist/protagonist had been recently released from an asylum or mental institution. It had a winsome, rather sad feel to it. It might have been sung by George Harrison, but I’m not at all sure of that.

Does that ring a bell for anyone?

Hmmmm. Any others clues? Tempo? A smackeral of the lyrics?

Wild guesses:
REM- The One I Love
David Bowie- Ashes to Ashes (though the album it was on was released in 1980)

If it’s not those, I might be able to rack my brain and see if I can think of something else. The 80’s music I listen to is mostly on the New Wave side.
Do you remember if it was a synth-based song or was it more guitar based?

The only song I can think of by George Harrison that even vaguely fits the description would be “Cheer Down.”

Slow tempo, almost elegiac in tone. Try as I might, I can’t remember any of the lyrics other than what I wrote in the OP (if I could, I’d have Googled it years ago). I’m almost certain it’s neither REM or Bowie, but I’ll check those out on iTunes. Having read the lyrics to “Cheer Down,” I’m sure it’s not that. I think it was mostly guitar and the singer’s voice; no synth that I remember.

Thanks for your help so far.

“Rio” by Duran Duran.

I always thought that “Take Me Home” by Phill Collins sounded like someone being released from an asylum.

I meant to add some of the lyrics I remember:

“I’ve been a prisoner all my life…
but I can say to you
that I don’t remember
So take, take me home…”

Something like that

Isn’t that a Phil Collins song?

Yes, but I misidentified it as a ‘Phill’ Collins song! :slight_smile:

But not PHILLL Collins.

Crap, I saw your post right before mine and thought you were the OP.

So never mind.

Artist: Yaz
Album: Upstairs at Erics
Title: In My Room
Lyrics: (Partial due to copyright concerns)

Well, if you don’t find the song you’re looking for, you’ll at least get something out of this; the Bowie song is one of my favorites. I’m not a big fan of that particular REM song though.

U2’s album The Joshua Tree was release in 1987 and some of the songs from it seem like they might fit your criteria.

The Smiths’ album Strangeways Here We Come was also released that year. The song that immediately springs to mind is “Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me”. I’d be really surprised if it received radio play in the US though (or anywhere for this particular song). Plus this song doesn’t seem like it could easily be confused with George Harrison’s music. I don’t know how good the iTunes preview would be, because the song has a long intro that’s different from the rest of it.

It looks like George Harrison did release an album in 87, Cloud Nine.

Maybe this link will help you out. I found it by googling popular songs in 1987, there are several useful looking links that turn up, but the Wikipedia one looks the most useful.

Institutionalized by the Suicidal Tendencies?

Slow tempo, almost elegiac in tone? :dubious:

Now that this thread is open, I have a question too.

I heard this one song? On the radio? And I think there was a guy singing? And maybe guitars?

Can anyone help me figure out what song it was?

Was it Billy Joel? Sounds like something he’d do!

Hey Elendil’s Heir. The first two bands that popped into my head were The Housemartins and The Smithereens. Good luck, I hope you find out.

The first song that comes to my mind is I Don’t Mind at All by Bourgeois Tagg (and produced by Todd Rundgren). Here’s a link to the lyrics:

http://www.lyricsvault.net/songs/7365.html

Are you familiar with The Smiths and/or Morrisey?

Lots of the Smiths’ catalog would fit the OP.

All I wanted was a Pepsi. Just one Pepsi. AND YOU WOULDN’T GIVE IT TO ME!!!