Help me spice up my omelettes!

I’ve started making omelettes as a quick post-workout meal. I’m used to making scrambled eggs and throwing in large amounts of cheese, ham, sausage, etc, which would kind of defeat the point of being at the gym.

I’m not exactly the world’s best cook (I had to look up instructions for browning ground-beef one time). I suppose I could chop up some peppers or onions, but I’m wondering what I can do with spices to give my eggs a little extra flavour. Or convenient spice/veggies combos.

Any hints or favorite recipes from our teeming masses?

Don’t feel bad. Browning ground beef is not quite as intuitive as you might think. It’s easy to get grayed beef if you don’t do it right.

Anyhow, I like a veggie omelet with mushrooms, shallots, and a dash or two of fish sauce. I serve it with Sriracha at the table to spice it up. I also like poblano peppers & onions as a combo. Spinach & garlic works well, too.

I make a casserole of eggplant, onion and fresh tomato sauteed in olive oil and garlic. Then I add mozzarella cheese and bake it in the oven.

I always make enough of this to save a couple cups of this to put into omelettes. It’s awesome, really.

Dill goes well with eggs, as does thyme. Smoked salmon, dill and low-fat cream cheese is a good combo.

Thyme, oregano, margoram, and savory are all good with eggs. Go easy with them however. Try a dash of Tabasco and/or fresh ground black pepper. Add salt as well. There is a myth it will make your eggs tough.

Peppers and onions are nice in omelletes; add diced canadian bacon and you have a Denver omelette.

I’m only just learning how to cook and onion and peppers are great. They aren’t even hard to do as I’ve slowly learned. If you’re out somewhere and you smell an MMMMMM smell, I’ve learned that smell is cooked onions. Some olive oil and onions make everything great.

I’m a fan of hot sauces and for me, it’s not tabasco, it’s Cholula. I’ve been complimented on taste more often when I’ve used that than anything else.

(On an odd related note, my mother was once complimented on her perfume. She’d used my dad’s deodorant that day. Right guard became her goto fragrance in the 80’s)

Try a spinach and feta cheese egg white omelet. All the protein, (almost) none of the cholesterol.

Or try a chorizo (sausage) and pepper jack scramble in a tortilla with some homemade salsa.

Got this recipe off a friend of my husband’s:

Luxury eggs

Scramble eggs with rosemary, parsley, and green onions. When the eggs are cooked, add bits of low-fat (or full fat) cream cheese on top.

This.

Add a little bit of tabasco and / or hot sauce to the oil (or whatever you are using) to the skillet while it’s heating up.

You will pleased with the results.

Spinach and feta (or swiss) is a good suggestion. And dash of Tabasco is practically a given in my omelette.

What I do for “healthy” omelettes is pre-fry the following in a little bit of olive oil:

• 2 bunches of scallions (green onions), chopped
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 or 2 Chopped jalapeno peppers, diced
  • 1 medium tomato, diced
  • 1 can of low-sodium black beans
  • 1/2 can (or a small can) of unsalted yellow corn niblets
  • Fresh cilantro, chopped [this is very important!]
  • 3-4 peeled garlic cloves, diced
  • Salt, ground black pepper, oregano to taste
    (-optional: some amount of [turkey] bacon or sausage)

After heating the oil, I fry everything but the tomatoes and corn together on fairly high heat, turning down the fire to add those at the end for a few minutes. I only add them after the beans get mushy and the peppers and onions are well browned.

I now have a whopping large bowl of pre-made, sort-of-Mexican stuff. It’s pretty versatile, I can now put this in a whole-wheat wrap for a burrito or quesadilla by refrying quickly in a pan and adding some shredded, low-fat cheddar on top, and/or low-fat/fat-free sour cream.

For an omelette, I heat a non-stick pan with a small amount of olive oil and toss in some of my ready-made “stuff”. After a minute or so, I pour in egg whites from an egg white carton and let it harden. I toss on a little bit of low-fat cheddar cheese, add a dash of Tabasco, fold the omelette and cover with a lid for another minute or two, and ta-da!

I sometimes put this omelette in a whole-wheat wrap to make a breakfast burrito for “on the go” eating.

High protein, relatively low fat, tasty and very easy to compute on the calories with a worksheet based on the ingredients.

Mince a bunch of chives (not green onions) and add them right before you fold the omelet–if you cook them too long, they lose flavor.

Also, make sure you’re using quality eggs to begin with–if you need to give the eggs “extra flavor”, that’s a sign you’re not starting off with good ingredients. The eggs should taste good by themselves, so any extra ingredients in the omelet should just be variations on the flavor profile.

I use the same things I use on my pizza: garlic powder and crushed red pepper, along with some salt. That’s all I need to make my eggs spicy.

While you’re scrambling the eggs, spoon (or squirt) a little Dijon mustard in with them. It adds a really nice background flavor to the eggs.

Chop up some onion, garlic, bell peppers and seeded tomatoes. Divide them into a few Zip-lock bags, and freeze them. Saute them before you add the eggs.

I’ve loved cholula for years–I just recently discovered sriracha. It has a little thicker consistency than cholula, and stays where you put it on your eggs. Highly recommended!

Excellent! Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I’m eagerly making notes for next week’s meals. :slight_smile:

I think I’ll try out some of the hot sauce ideas first. Yum :smiley:

minor bump:

BrassyPhrase and hellpaso, I located a bottle of cholula sauce and wow what a difference that makes with the eggs. Instant winner.

Thanks again!

you’ll hate me for this (cause I can’t find the things except through on line shopping), but there exists an item called “candied jalepanos”, sliced, crunchy, spicey yet w/a touch of sweetness. I chop 'em up and add 'em to eggs in the last minutes (along w/the cheese) they retain their crunch really well.

Also, another nice hot sauce can be found in Asian grocery stores, we call it shark sauce 'cause it has a picture of a shark on it. It’d be w/the sriachi sauce.

I remember this from another poster (can’t remember who):
Add a couple pinches of dill weed to fried eggs. Makes them taste great! To me it brings out the egg flavor.