Help me understand this quinceanera invitation

My daughter has just received her first invitation to one of her classmates’ quinceanera (it’s all in Spanish). Among the materials in the invitation is a business card-sized card with the following:

*Recepcion: (hall information redacted)
Comida: 5:00 p.m. a 7:00 p.m.
Baile: 6:30 p.m. a 11:30 p.m.

de Pase 1

“Lluvia de Sobres”*

I’m pretty confident that I can make out the gist of the details. But the “Lluvia de Sobres” has got me stumped. Google Translate calls it “envelope rain.” My daughter thinks it might be the name of the party planner. Me, I’m not so sure.

I have heard (and seen on television) about kids making their Bar Mitzvah/Bat Mitzvah receiving an envelope with money in it from everyone in the reception line (don’t know how much that’s a stereotype), and I’m wondering if it might be something similar.

For Dopers who participate in the quinceanera tradition, what does this mean? Thanks in advance.

It is a rain of envelopes.

Envelopes full of MONEY. :smiley:

Sounds incredibly tacky to me. They are presumably inviting you to the celebration because they like you and want you to share in their fun. Assuming you are bringing a gift (AND specifying that it be cash) is beyond crass.

Means cash gifts, please.

Agreed. And also incredibly rude to send out Spanish-only invitations to people who do not speak Spanish.

But if you point that out in a GD thread, you’re a racist.

Here’s a Colombian wedding site complaining about the new-fangled custom of the “Lluvia de Sobres.”

Rough translation of the first paragraph:

The Rain of Envelopes is new fad that is growing strongly in the city and, through ignorance of the norms of civility, etiquette and protocol is generating discomfort, discontent and a series of silent protests on part of the guests, who usually do not dare to mention or comment on it, so the hosts never know the sentiment felt by those who receive your card of invitation, and who learn through the very ornate and sophisticated phrase “Rain of Envelopes” that “cash only” will be received; or in the worst case, “dollars not gifts.”

[Moderator Note]

I don’t know why you feel the need to point this out in GQ. Take it elsewhere.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator