Help! Need dessert recipe!

I am to prepare dessert for a dinner party where the honoree does not eat “refined sugar” or dairy products. I am of the butter-sugar-chocolate-fat dessert school and am stumped. Does refined sugar include brown sugar? Does dairy include eggs?

In short, what’s left? Does anyone have clues on sorts of desserts I can consider (besides fruit salad)? Any recipe sites or favorite recipes excluding these ingredients?

Thanks for any help.

I would recommend a dessert involving honey, like this passulate. There are quite a few other dessert recipes on that site as well, but it’s hard to go wrong with nuts, raisins, cinnamon, and honey.

If you’d rather strike out on your own here, then eggs should be OK, but avoid milk, butter, margarine, ice cream, etc to meet the no-dairy requirement. To replace the sugar, look for desserts using molasses, cane syrup, or honey–especially honey.

<shrug>So I like honey.</shrug>

Or maybe some sort of fruit salad without added sugar?

Also, I typed “sugarfree recipes” into google and got a bunch of hits. Here’s a recipe I found:

Brownie Carob Oatmeals (from http://www.sugaraddict.com/maxpages/Dessert_Recipes )
Ingredients:

1/2 cup mashed banana (mash ripe banana with a fork)

1/3 cup vegetable oil (I use canola)

1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 large eggs

1/4 cup milk (could substitute soy or oatmilk)

1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour (could substitute spelt flour)

1/4 cup carob powder

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup chopped nuts

2/3 cup rolled oats
Directions:
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat together mashed banana, oil, vanilla extract, eggs, and milk until creamy. Add flour, carob powder, and baking soda. Beat well.

Stir in chopped nuts and rolled oats. Mix well.

Drop batter by small teaspoonfuls onto oiled baking sheets.

Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until just firm to the touch. Cool on wire racks.

Yields 4 dozen.

So much for my reading comprehension skills :rolleyes: .
Strike my suggestion for fruit salad…I missed where you said in the OP, “besides fruit salad.” :slight_smile:

So who did you tick off in this group that you got assigned the dessert? :wink:

I think regular brown sugar would still be considered refined. Honey or molasses is probably acceptable. There is also a product called sucanet (or maybe sucanat) which is made from unrefined sugar cane. It’s more expensive than sugar, but you can use it basically the same way–the measurements would be about equal. You can find it at health food stores.

You can also use soy milk or, in some cases, tofu, in place of dairy in lots of recipes.

Eggs don’t count as dairy, but some vegetarians exclude both from their diets. You don’t say what the reasons for her restrictions are.

You might try doing a search for vegan dessert recipes.

There is bound to be a good poached pear recipe out there that uses honey instead of sugar. I made white wine and ginger poached pears a couple weeks ago and they were out of this world.

You could always try a sorbet…the have relatively little dairy, so you could probably sub soy milk easily, though I don’t know how you would get around the sugar. I know I ran across a sorbet somewhere that had coconut milk instead…maybe it was a pina colada sorbet?

Maybe Bananas Foster, so the honoree could eat that and the rest of you could eat it with ice cream like normal people?

Good luck, I think the poached pears is the best idea so far.

This thread included a link to a medieval gingerbread recipe–ingredients were honey (lots of it!) ginger, cinnamon, and breadcrumbs. The basic procedure seemed pretty straightforward–basically boil the honey, add spices, mix in breadcrumbs. The site described it as “playdough like” and I imagine you could use molds to make cute shapes–you can get candy molds and such at craft stores, they’re not very expensive. It sounds yummy to me, it’s on my “cool things to try” list, and it has no refined sugar or dairy/eggs (aside from what might be in the bread, but you can find all kinds of bread, just look around). The recipe is here.

You might try looking at some vegetarian cookbooks at your local library. The Moosewood Dessert cookbook, for instance, has quite a few vegan recipes. Sorbets are good if the weather is warm, maybe poached fruit if it is still cool? How about fresh fruit dipped in chocolate? Tofu cheesecake?

I was going to suggest a simple fresh fruit platter earlier, but the server was wonky. Much more elegant than some boring old fruit salad. Get some nice, plump, red strawberries, a few different colors of grapes, some fresh pineapple, kiwi slices, orange sections, blueberries – whatever you like. Put them on a lovely glass or silver platter. Pretty and colorful! Serve dipping chocolate and whipped cream on the side – your honoree can just skip the toppings.

Will you feel like a shirker if you buy dessert instead of making it? You could probably go by an organic grocery store and get something that would fit the bill. Or you could go to that store and buy unrefined sugar to make the usual desserts.

Take frozen raspberries and mash them some, add honey at this point if needed. Pour it into muffin pans or fancier if you have them, and freeze it. Serve on a plate with a bit of Amaretto poured on the frozen fruit. Put a dollop of nondairy Cool Whip on top of the frozen fruit ice. Drop a few fresh berries around the frozen centerpiece, not raspberries, perhaps honey dipped strawberries. A few slices of honeydew or peeled mandarin oranges on the side wouldn’t hurt. If she can’t eat non dairy Cool Whip, leave it of her’s.

First, start with a lot of sand (may substitute rock or ice) bake at very high temperature (chill very low if using ice) …
uh … what??? oh, sorry, lost an “s” …
never mind … back to the original thread …
leaving now …

:slight_smile: I know–I am just used to preparing a sinfully “refined” dessert so I automatically assumed I would do this one.

:smiley: I had to think carefully about spelling that title.

Thanks to all for your help!

Never tried any of these recipes but http://morinu.com/recipes.html has a diary free low fat pumpkin pie make with tofu and honey, not sugar. There are some other deserts as well. Mori nu also has a pudding mix (Soy?). Maybe you could make a pie with that. You could ask someone at a health food store for tips but I’d be warry.
I got some cookies for christmas last year from a vegan (maybe she just didn’t know how to cook - we’re not that close). The “cookies” were carob chip in corn meal with mint to cover the nasty artificial sweetener (didn’t work). You know how you do that dumb, “This tastes awful, try it” thing? I do anyway. Well, I knocked my husband’s cookie out of his hand before he could eat it. He said “I’m just curious.” “No dear, you’re not.” It was that nasty.
So, maybe you could make a small tofu pumpkin thingie for the guest of honor and the rest of you can enjoy double chocolate cheese cake. Or here’s a wild idea, unless it’s a surprise party, ask the honoree for the recipe of their favorite desert. Do I cheat? Oh yeah, all the time. I do dinner parties at least once a week. Cheating is vital. You could buy something too. Health food stores sometimes carry premade deserts. I’m bad. I’ll shut up now.