Help us re-name a kitten! (explanation inside)

In this thread:

Help us name our 3rd kitten

I asked everyone to help us name our third kitten. We had the names Kaylee, Inara, and needed another.

You all helped and we named the little girl River.

River, Kaylee, and Inara are all wonderful and a great joy for my wife and me. However, we have a bit of a problem.

We think Kaylee is a boy. A veterinarian told us all three are girls, but we are beginning to suspect that Kaylee…has a penis. It’s quite hard to tell with little kittens, but she looks male in the face and we’re pretty sure.

Well, Kaylee is lovely as a name, but we’ll rename the cat if it is indeed a boy.

We’d like to stay with the Firefly/Buffy/Angel theme, but we’re not sure what we want.

We’re open to suggestions. Anyone have any? Here is a photo of her…I mean him.

I’d post a photo, but where can I do so for free? I used to use photobucket, but it require registration now.

I use Webshots.

You must name him Mal, Wash or Jayne. I’d need to see a photo to pick one in particular. Or maybe a personality description would work.

Joss

How about ImageShack to host your pictures? (ETA: I haven’t yet seen them run out of bandwidth nearly as much as photobucket, myself.)

As for Kaylee being a “he” why not wait until they go in to be fixed and see what operation was required? That is certainly a way to be sure, eh? :wink: Though, if the vet is saying female I might lean towards what he’s saying, unless the kittens are really, really young? Then, I might gently tease him about having to operate on “our girl’s” testicles so “she” couldn’t make babies.

We had one cat that we thought was a girl, until his testicles finally descended. He didn’t have the giant “male cat” head, it was of female proportions, and he was long and lanky. So, yeah sometimes kittens can throw you a zig when you are seeing a zag.

“Jayne” sounds like the best way to hedge your bets …

I’d agree with this absolutely, but I’d be afraid the cat’d take up Jayne-like personality traits! :stuck_out_tongue:

We have a cat who went from being “Tommy” to “Tommy Girl” and back to “Tommy” because we had a similar problem. It’s nice to know that I am not the only one who has done that.

He has penis?

Then you must name him… EnSue!
Yes, a cat named ‘EnSue’.

My daddy left home when I was three
And he didn’t leave much to ma and me
Just this old cardboard box that used to hold booze.
Now, I don’t blame him cause he run and hid
But the meanest thing that he ever did
Was before he left, he went and named me “EnSue”…

What, like he/she would be alternately a hostile jerk and completely awesome? It’s a cat! You’re already there! :smiley:

Eh, who says you have to rename him? A friend of mine had a cat named Lily that ended up being called “Lily-boy,” and when we discovered that our supposedly female cockatiel, Lucy, was most likely a girl, we just said “screw it” and continued to call her Lucy, pronoun and all. It’s not like you have to dress him in different clothes or worry about the other kittens teasing him on the playground.

Another vote for “why change a thing?” And River has already been established as a male (or at least unisex) name, in the deceased actor River Phoenix.

How can a kitten look “male in the face”? The only place my boy cats ever looked male was between the legs. :smiley:

How old are the kittens? Around 12 weeks the boy cats get tiny cotton balls.

Oh, and “Jayne is a girl’s name.”

But maybe he would start wearing a silly orange hat.

With a pompom and earflaps, no less!

Strike “girl,” insert “boy.” thank you. :smack:

There is an easy way to sex kittens, even young ones. Stand it facing away from you, hold its tail straight up. If there are two little holes, it’s a girl, one, it’s a boy.

Fap.

Females tend to have smaller, pointier faces, and males; larger, rounder faces.

What! Still no pictures?

I warn you - I’ll keep coming back until you post them.

(And I think EnSue is a hoot, but that Jayne would work. You could also switch to Kaylor in a pinch. Kaylee wouldn’t mind having a boy-kitty named after her.)