"Hip" phrases to drive my kids wild

You are evil.

One original Twilight Zone episode (“Mr. Dingle the Strong”) featured Burgess Meredith as a meek and mild vacuum cleaner salesman. At one point, he’s crossing the street, and some kids playing football in the street hit him in the head with the ball. Then they demand he give the ball back. Meredith picks up the ball and says, “Go out for a pass. Isn’t that what they say? ‘Go out for a pass’?” Being Burgess Meredith, he manages to sound dorky and nerdy while trying to engage the kids, especially with the “Isn’t that what they say?” bit.

So I’d suggest taking any of the responses here–“radical,” “down with that,” “izzle,” and the rest–and following them with “Isn’t that what they say?” as Burgess Meredith did. For example,

“That’s a radical idea. Isn’t that what they say? Radical?”
“Fo’shizzle. Isn’t that what they say? ‘Fo’shizzle’?”
“I’m down with that. Isn’t that what they say? ‘I’m down with that’?”

As like as not, much eye-rolling will ensue, indicating you are indeed a clueless old fart.

“Booya!” never goes out of style.

Also, call everyone “dog”, dog.

Are you from Boston or something?

I have been known to send my 15 year old daughter into paroxysms of embarrassment by saying, “Duuuuuuuuuude.” She has told me I’m too old to use that word, at which I make sure I say it at least three more times.

Ha, no, Calgary, Alberta.

That’s “da bomb”… NOT!

Except, to sound both clueless AND hip, try it Borat’s way:
“That’s…NOT!..da bomb.”
Oh, and apparently, for some young 'uns these days, to express agreement, they’ll say “gimme some bone”, and touch knuckles, much as '70’s black (and wannabe black) culture had “gimme some skin” with an offered palm.

Or so I’m told. Could be way off, or regionally restricted – heck if I know!

Don’t forget “NOT!” – “sike”'s cousin.

"That movie was really cool…

…NOT!"

ETA: On preview I see Bearflag beat me to the punch.

I’m still all, like, gnarly, and then I’ll go, like, gag me with a spoon! Totally, like, fer sure! It’s bitchin’.

You could throw in some 1920’s slang:

the bee’s knees
the cat’s meow
the cat’s pajamas

Totally. I mean, fer sure.

And the ubiquitous “excellent!”.

Yes, I came of age in the early 80s–what gave me away?

If something’s really good (especially food) say “That was Off.The.Chain !!!”

Another one to subistitute in place of ‘wicked’ is ‘sick’. That guitar solo was sick, d00d.

When you walk up to a bunch of kids, holler out gaily (cheerfully, even) “Yo, bitchez!!”

And instead of saying good bye on the phone, say “peace, out”.

:smiley:

If none of this works for you, Dinsdale, I have some music you could borrow.

I prefer the strong bad version:
“Oh, man. This is going to be off all of the following: The hook, the chain, the charts, the grid, and most importantly, the wagon.”

Excellent and peace out go way back to the mid-70s, though. And remember party hearty, and its infinite number of misspellings? And I’ve heard wicked awesome as early as 1983.

It was sometime in the late 80s that my friends and I were saying …NOT! I had not heard it from anyone outside my circle of friends. When I saw the trailor for Wayne’s World, and they said it, I said “Hey, we made that up!” I honestly thought we did.

Turns out it goes back to the early 70s.

Hook! off the HOOK!
Frankly, you embarrass me.
:smiley:
(actually, it could be either - depending on context, etc.)

Oh my god. I never really thought that they were doing it on purpose. You mean…they…enjoyed tormenting me?

This thread brings up a repressed memory. When I was 10 or 12, there was a brief fad, at least in my neck of the woods, for declaring things “DECENT!!!”, as in “Your new bike is so DECENT!!!” My brothers and I used this word about every 90 seconds. Then came the day my mom used it casually in front of us, perhaps to describe some bucolic baked good, and then looked upon us as though she had merely said that it was “fine.” We were horrified, and stopped using the word immediately.

Well played, Mom.

Neither do I. I must have told this story to a dozen people and it always get a laugh.

To the OP: My favorite one that I use around my 18 year old brother to much eye rolling: Yo, we seriously need to get some groceries up in dis hi-zouse!

“Sweet” always used to drive my kids nuts. If you feel like going retor, I might suggest “Mint,” or for the advanced student, “Mint-O-Mite.”

If you’re kids complain about how lame you are, a good response is, “Meow.”

If you’re looking for some good retro-cool, tell your kids that dinner is ready and for them to “Be There Or Be Square.” A bonus is to draw the square in the air with your fingers as you say it.