History's Greatest Protein Bar

This will be impossible to believe, but I actually came across a protein bar that was completely, 100%, and utterly without any chococlate! Whatsoever! (and no yogurt, either!)
And what may be this most unusual creature, you might ask?
Blueberry RxBar.
There’s actually one other protein bar that avoids chocolate - Honeybar - which I used to buy, but got too cloyingly sugary.
RxBars are delicious, too, regardless of how badly the stuff gets stuck in your teeth.
Very disapppointing how the market is flooded with way too many varieties of protein bars ruined by chocolate.

They make protein bars with chocolate because that’s what people want, and sure, it’s just a glorified chocolate bar, but the market has spoken.

Clif Builders have three. Vanilla Almond, Crunchy Peanut Butter, and Cinnamon Nut Swirl. They used to have a lemon one, but I loved it, so naturally it has been discontinued. This happens with any product I really like. :roll_eyes:

Speaking of Clif, there’s the Oatmeal Raisin Walnut bar that I used to get, too, but again, got to sugary cloying for me - could barely finish one.

Amen to that, if that isn’t the case with me too. Everything, it seems. Almost worth starting a new thread about.

Though, typically, they are NOT as tasty as a real chocolate bar. The chocolate tends to be rather cloying, What frustrates me is that “protein bars” typically don’t have all that much protein in them - they tend to be about equal in carbs versus protein grams.

You pretty much have to go for something meat-based to have significant protein but no high carb count along with it. Anything else that attempts it, they are apt to be gag-inducing.

Some of the Kind bars have a very limited amount of chocolate and are relatively good, even from a nutritional standpoint.

The Clif energy bars have only 12g of protein, but they also have fiber and caffeine, so I consider them a full breakfast. :wink: The builder bars though have 20g of protein, so they are a really good choice. And they are not as sticky as some of the others.

And another non-chockie I used to buy: Hornby Island Oatmeal and Rasin bar, which started tasting too peanut buttery for me.
(ok ok sure, I’m selective)

The committee(i joke but maybe they exist) do that with products I like also

this reminds me of the granola bar boom in the 80s…they kept adding things to them until they became little more than candy bars IE kudos

Hah! Try to find a decent protein bar, with or without chocolate, that doesn’t have nuts in it. I’m actually allergic to nuts and peanuts, so the pickings are slim.

By “decent” I mean a good ratio between calories (low) and protein (high); if you can get under 10 to 1, you’re doing pretty well. My current bar is Protein One protein bars, small so they make a good between-meal snack. 90 calories, 10 grams of protein. And they have a strawberry flavor version that has no chocolate. It contains a sugar alcohol, though, so if you eat more than two at a time, you’re going to have some intestinal distress.

It’s not what I want.

If they can make these things in dozens or hundreds of flavors (and they do), they could make a couple that aren’t candy bars. If I want a candy bar (sometimes I do) I’ll buy a candy bar. If I want a fast lunch substitute, a candy bar doesn’t do the job.

And I run into significant numbers of other people complaining that nearly everything is now made too sweet for their tastes. There’s a market out there.

Cascadian Farms used to have some really good ones. Now all I can find of theirs are full of chocolate and so sweet that I need to hunt up something else.

I was given some kind of protein bar (I think it was a Clif Bar) decades ago after a race. It was gross. I took one bite and threw it in the trash. It was like a bit of oats mixed with mashed up multivitamins covered in a too sweet coating. Yuck. I haven’t eaten once since.

If I want a candy bar, I will eat a candy bar. If I eat a substitute, it won’t satisfy the craving, so I’ll need to eat a candy bar. I’d rather eat real food. I understand the need sometimes for eat- on-the-run food, but I’ll go for taste first. At least, it won’t make me heave after I’ve eaten it.

Quest makes a handful of non-chocolate flavors. Blueberry Muffin, Lemon, Birthday Cake, and White Chocolate Raspberry.

I should mention that although there are sweeteners in there, these are really not sweet at all, they are barely palatable. Also that they recently took about a 40% price hike where I buy them, so instead of being about $1 each now they are about $1.40 ($7 for a box of 5). They’re in the cereal aisle with granola bars, but they are nothing like granola.

Fitcrunch protein bars aren’t bad. I’ve only tried their chocolate and peanut butter, but they have several non-chocolate flavors like apple pie, PB&J, Lemon.

However my favorite means of getting protein are those pre-mixed 11oz protein drinks you can get at walmart. Tons of flavors and they go down easier than a candy bar thats made out of clay.

You can also do this

The last two, at least, sound like I’d probably find them sickly sweet. It’s not the chocolate as chocolate that I object to (though some others may be), it’s the excess sweetness.

Couldn’t agree more - yeah, the first two are probably in my wheelhouse more than the other (too sweet) two.
And yet one other brand I don’t mind too much - L’a’rabar - as long as it’s the apple, cashew or blueberry variety.

I was at walmart recently and bought a 4 pack of the Blueberry RxBars that OP mentions. They were actually really good as far as protein bars go. Not a bad price either, 4 bars for $7.