Holy Crap I think I'm Pregnant!!

Might as well start practicing now: “I appreciate your concern.” “Thank you, I’ll think about that.” That’s interesting advice." Followed by a mental, “but I won’t be doing it.” Keeps things from getting out of hand when everybody wants to tell you what to do with your baby.

The other thing to practice is selective hearing. People will insist on telling you horror stories about pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, babies in general. Just tune out what you don’t want to know. I’ve never been able to figure out why some baby showers and such turn into, “Let’s scare the pants off the mother-to-be.”

Anyway, congratulations. Rest and sleep and follow your own instincts. You know more than you think you do.

Oh, and sticky, sticky.

A friend of mine tried to stop me drinking tea.She nearly got her arm bitten off.
Congratulations! Welcome to the club! Babies are great. And yeah, it’s possible all you’ll want in the first trimester is junk food. If that’s all you can keep down, it’s fine. I have a perfectly healthy almost-two kid whose primary nutrition during my first trimester was fries and gravy.
I like Ann Douglas’s books. The Girlfriend’s Guides are pretty good, too. What to Expect made me feel guilty about puking at the sight of a green vegetable.

Congratulations!

(What’s PCOS?)

Congrats and welcome to the club! Assume you will direct this question to your Ob as well, but mine was generally fine with all exercise other than that which was real contact sport or big risk of falling (skiing and horseriding etc). Heart rate wasn’t really a concern either.

I went to the gym, lifted weights and cycled up to 6 months (I used a HR monitor and tried to keep the HR 140 or under), and once I stopped that walked around an hour a day plus yoga or pilates 4x a week. I’m 40 weeks tomorrow, and will be attending yoga class as per usual - I’d really recommend it for keeping up flexibility and strength - haven’t had any back pain at all.

I also was recommended to start sleeping on my left side as soon as I could - the design flaw in the female body is that lying on your back can eventually cut off circulation as you get bigger, and if you are a back sleeper like me, you don’t want to try to readjust the way you sleep at a time when sleep is harder to come by.

polycystic ovarian syndrome
Here. I think that’s what Kate Goesslin had, when she went and accidentally impregnated herself with six fetuses.

Congratulations, Elysium!!! I remember your original thread, although I don’t believe I posted in it, and your good news knocked me right out of my bad mood!

Have a happy and healthy nine months, and don’t worry, you’ll do just fine. Yay!

Thanks for the link torie!
To sum up, PCOS is an endocrine disorder in which the body produces excess androgens causing some or all of the following: anovoluation, insulin resistance, hirsuitism and at the same time hair loss/thinning, acne, obesity/weight gain, and depression. Usually if you have 2 or 3 symptoms you are diagnosed, one does not have to exhibit every sign. The big issue, of course, is the lack of adequate progesterone causing missed periods and possible infertility and a high rate of miscarriage if untreated. Even with treatments, the 2% miscarriage figure jumps to 5% according to what I’ve read. So not only is it difficult to get pregnant, we are more likely to miscarry in the first trimester.

But aside from that worry, I’m doing good! I think we’ll wait until at LEAST 8 weeks to announce, possibly 10 if I can hold it in. It’s already hard! My mom’s birthday was Halloween and it was incredibly difficult not to say “Happy Birthday Grandma!” (it’ll be her first grand-kid). Hubby and I are thinking Thanksgiving might be a good time to tell everyone at once we care about.

Ugh, I did NOT realize hot flashes were a pregnancy symptom until just a few days ago. I thought I was getting sick and then decided to google “pregnancy hot flash,” and whaddaya know it’s pretty common.

Elysium, everybody tells you about morning sickness. Nobody ever warns you about hot flashes, sore breasts, constipation, and acne (most of which resolved after the first trimester, for me).

I feel your pain. Sometimes my co-workers start fanning me when I’m talking to them.

Or excess salivation. Or a really funny taste in your mouth for a few months. Or my-breasts-are-bigger-NO-you-may-not-touch-them!

Or the way your digestion slows and the sphincter at the top of your stomach softens (heartburn and the ability to taste meals you ate hours ago).

Congratulations!

I also have PCOS, was told it would be “very difficult” to get pregnant. Thus we didn’t worry much about pregnancy, especially after about 15 years of not taking precautions with no results.

My daughter is 17 months old now. :smiley:

I’m probably a candidate for the “Didn’t Know I was Pregnant” show, except I found out a few weeks before delivery. I had what I thought were my usual periods about every 3-4 months and absolutely no other symptoms. Kid’s a lurker!

Slight hijack:

Why do pregnant women get weird cravings for food?

My favorite pregnancy symptom was heightened sense of smell. I could literally smell what the next-door neighbors were cooking for dinner. It was amazing.

Another pregnant doper chiming in to say welcome to the club :slight_smile:

I found every time I opened up a pregnancy book and looked to see what symptoms I could expect, I suddenly started experiencing them. Nausea? Check. Heightened sense of smell? Check. Excess saliva, heart palpitations, strange taste in the mouth, sore breasts? Check, check, check. I stopped looking at the books after a while.

Good news is that if you do have an awful first trimester (mine was like a 3 month hangover), it does generally get better. I’m feeling great at 20 weeks, and hardly pregnant at all…apart from the little kicks now and then.

One thing I didn’t find that anyone talked about was just how weird it is to know that there’s a whole other human in there. Everyone tells you how wonderful it is, but ever since I started feeling him move, I’ve been alternately fascinated and freaked out! It just ain’t natural :smiley:

Also, I’m hating the new sense of smell. My husband still doesn’t smell right to me, and I’ve been keeping him at arm’s length for five months, poor guy :slight_smile: