Holy crap, it's Goldfrapp

Sooooo, I’d been in musical stasis ever since I left home for college in 1998. This month I started my first real full-time office job, and I’ve been spending a lot of time catching up with things while I work, mostly on last.fm . It kept playing songs by Goldfrapp, and I quite liked them. I’ve bought some on iTunes.

Today I looked her up on YouTube. Um… oh my gosh. She’s what MTV wanted to be in 1983. When on EARTH did mirror-reflective horses and puffy sleeves come back into fashion? Is it my generation’s fault? But why on earth would we want to relive a time period we remember? Especially such a stupid-looking one?

Someone please help me. I’m confused.

To make things worse, my co-workers then directed me to “My Humps,” first the Black-Eyed Peas version (gasp!), then the Alanis Morrisette version (yeah, well, all her post-Jagged Little Pill songs sound exactly the same).

I don’t really get it, either, but damn if “Ride a White Horse” isn’t one of the best f-in’ dance songs I’ve heard in years.

“Strict Machine” is an amazingly awesome Goldfrapp song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2VktozqkSc

I’m really rather quite fond of Strict Machine, myself. It’s my favorite Goldfrapp song.

…or what **Lou **said.

I’m confused. How old are you? Did you go to college late? If you went right out of High School, then you were born in 1980 and your generation had nothing to do with what you’re seeing.

As to your question, it seems to me there’s a kind of self-conscious appropriation of past styles in a lot of pop music (both musically and visually) these days. I don’t know why they’re doing it. It seemed to be mostly about the 70’s a few years ago, and seems to be much about the 80’s these days. I have seen examples which I would think best explained as sincere appreciation of past music scenes, and I have seen examples which I would think best explained as a kind of ironic appropriation of them, sometimes almost to the point of parody. I’d put the videos you found on youtuble a little closer to the latter than the former, though not to the level of parody.

Yes, I am talking out of an orifice other than my mouth at the moment.

-FrL-

If you guys haven’t already, I recommend you check out the Itunes exclusive live-in-studio version of this track. It’s an extended version that rocks the house. Basically, it just fills out a lot of the parts that seem condensed in the studio version.

The sad thing is that they started out making really beautiful, spooky, atmospheric noir-pop in the Portishead tradition - but then when Electroclash blew up in the early 00’s, they did an OMG FULL BAND MAKEOVER and cashed in as a joke “the eighties were HILARIOUS” act, and have never recovered.

Can you make some recommendations? I don’t own anything by Goldfrapp, but I do love that one song, and Portishead is one of my favorite bands of all time, and I’m always seeking more “beautiful, spooky, atmospheric noir-pop,” as you so perfectly put it. Massive Attack has never quite cut it for me beyond Mezzanine, Black Box Recorder isn’t bad, Poe is awesome, and I would love more.

So is Queen Machine.

Wow, I love this. Thanks for turning me on to them.

I think *Ooh La La * is the best Goldfrapp song I’ve heard. Second place is tied between *Strict Machine * and Number One.

Yes, I was born in 1980. I didn’t have anything to do with the 80s pop/electronic scene, but I do remember it very well. I even remember watching the debut of Thriller. Scared the heck out of me.

It’s cool and I think the video is fun, but it sounds like Donna Summer’s “I Feel Love” over an electro-boogie beat…

If you like Portishead - have you checked out the other Bristol bands like Morcheeba, Olive, the Lamb, etc.? How about Six Underground by the Sneaker Pimps? That is an amazing, ethereal, sexy song - really great.

Have you heard Strange Love Addiction by Supreme Beings of Leisure? It goes a full minute before it opens up into techno/dance - really good.

Ohhh yes.

One of the best dance tunes ever, in my opinion.

Possibly because the latter seems to be selling more (or at least garnering more media attention). What she does isn’t particularly original, but the Beth Gibbons vocals had been done a fair bit as well (well, maybe it’s just that I was tired of that style). If you like the breathier side you may like Zero 7 as well.

Have you heard Miss Kittin yet?

Missed the edit window. The first video is slightly out-of-sync, but the song is still clear. The second video is one of my favorites for plot and the reversal(s). Just watch it, you’ll see.

I dig Goldfrapp. I allso found Fischerspooner around the same time. I like the songs ‘Never Win’ and ‘Emerge’ by them a lot.

That Ooh La La beat sounds familiar… ah, here it is:

Spirit in the Sky

I dunno, i like Strict Machine but don’t care too much for the others.

It always really worked for me, though, because I never cared much for their slower noir-pop stuff. I love their electroclash stuff, though. It’s not that I don’t like the slower Portishead type stuff, I just didn’t like their version of it much, I found it boring. I think they’re a far better vampy pop band.

I know someone who enjoys these guys, this is what she told me: