Home-Build Computer Cost?

Fortunately, there are alternatives such as Linux.

Agreed, and flavors like Ubuntu and Mint are getting pretty user-friendly. But I made the edit specific to the discussion of whether one can re-register a Windows license on new hardware.

I’m still using the copy of Windows XP I bought when it first came out. There’s a bit of “grandfather’s axe” going on (I just stopped using the old SB Live! card that was on the Dell I bought in 1999), but I’ve more or less used it on four distinct systems since then. When I go to reactivate the OS, I used to have to call the activation number and tell the Indian gentleman that it was a new computer and I’d scrapped the old one. The last time I did it (about a year ago), I don’t think I even had to call them-- I just had to click a box that said I wasn’t using it on more than one computer.

The trick I just learned on my last upgrade is “slipstreaming” where you can use your old XP disc to make a new disc that will do a fresh install with all the service packs already installed.

It’s funny - my brother had to call them up once after his third reinstall (with no issues - they released the product key no problem), but I swear I’ve had a copy of XP that I’ve installed on at least 6 different configurations, and I’ve never had to call in. I guess I’ve been lucky.

Pricing out a build right now with an i5 second gen (but waiting for the 1155 mobos to come out.) 2 harddrives, middle-grade video, extra fans and modular power supply, etc.
$1000
I built a medium range computer for my son for about $500

Overclocking? Y/N

It’s pointless to try and save money by buying a computer. You save money by buying a warranty and/or service agreement. If you just want to have fun, consider the money burnt, and you’ll be happy with any utility you derive from the result.

Hard to beat the Dell/HP/Gateway complete boxes at the low/mid price systems but you give up some future use.

You get proprietary parts in some of the pre-manufactured systems - not as bad as a few years ago.
You don’t get the USB 3.0 ports, SATA 6.0 ports, eSATA ports; maybe only a VGA and HDMI connector or just VGA/DVI. Maybe no firewire ports.
The power supply will be only “adequate”, unually around 250-350 watts.
Upgrading video is difficult or impossible due to case design or slot layout.

A modern DIY Mother Board, I have one ASUS in mind, has 2-USB 3.0 ports, 12-USB 2.0 ports if you hook up all the headers, 2-Firewire ports, 5-SATA 6.0mb/s ports, 3-PCI slots for older cards besides the newer versions of PCI slots, VGA/DVI/HDMI outputs, Digital Audio outputs, an eSATA external port, PS2 mouse/keyboard connectors, and an IDE header for hooking up your old hard drive so you get an easy transfer of files to your new SATA HD.

Shopping the internet sites this afternoon, I could make a Quad Core AMD machine with 8GB ram (1600 DDR3), 650W power supply, mid-tower case, a MB with all the above features, a 2TB green HD, new basic DVD 24/48x drive, integrated graphics (yeah I know - boo hiss), CPU fan and Windows 64 bit home premium for just under $600 with shipping.

I’ll be building something similiar next weekend but my case/power supply/HD/DVD items are already in my old system.

I don’t think Dell and the others could beat the power, expandability, and upgradeability of that system. With no previous experience you could get into trouble and it will take you a good part of the afternoon. You’d spend that time uninstalling the bloatware on the factory machines anyway.

My 2 cents.

I just built this high-end PC for about $1550 (including the OS, not including the monitors and peripherals which I already had). Show me an Alienware with similar specs that isn’t twice as expensive.

Another advantage to building your own is you will be better able to fix it when it breaks.

I can find a Dell Studio XPS 9100 for $1500. It’s i7-930 / 12 GB / Radeon 5870 / 1 TB

• Better video card.
  • Blu-ray.
  • Comes with a mouse.
  • Slightly slower CPU
  • Not a Caviar Black.

I bet it doesn’t come with Windows 7 Professional at that price - one really nice thing about mine is that the motherboard supports 6 channels of RAM, so I eventually plan to upgrade to 24 GB, which Win7 Pro supports but the Home version does not. Motherboard also has USB 3.0 ports and 6 Gb/s SATA ports (something else I bet a Dell doesn’t have). And what’s more is that I also plan to upgrade to in the future is dual graphics cards running SLI. What’s the wattage rating on the power supply of that Dell? I bet it would struggle to run all that (and you can’t even dual card with ATI GPUs anyway, can you?) It probably doesn’t look as imposing or have such excellent airflow either. :stuck_out_tongue:

Plus, being a Dell it’s loaded down with crapware from day 1. That’s reason enough to go custom build. :slight_smile:

You can build one cheaper than anything you can buy, you just have to settle with a free operating system which are actually good I hear. Microcenter is the place you want to go. You may have a local store. Check out their clearance section, they have a nice looking eMachines for $200.00. A lot of people dislike them but I bought one in 06, runs everyday and hasn’t had any hardware issues.

It’s just a combination of your build having a ton of slack and the Dell being discounted older tech. The CPU doubles in price between the 930 and your 950. The HAF X and 800W cost triple what you could get away with using. Premium motherboard. Premium HDD. Looks like a Hyper 212+ in your pictures. That’s $30 more than stock. The Dell isn’t an amazing deal at $1500. You could probably pull it off for $1100 or so.

You can use multiple AMD video cards. They call it Crossfire.

Oh I’m sure I could have, but I wasn’t going for supreme economy. But you pointed out a Dell, an Alienware of the same specs would still be way more costly (I looked at their site and it looks like a similar build would cost me about $2600 for an Alienware).

I can’t speak for Alienware, but this looks pretty close from iBuyPower. Whatever the differences are, I doubt they double the price.