Home Page categories

I’d categorize some home pages as exhibitionist, like http://members.xoom.com/XhtrleeX/WEB_PICS/
then some are dedicated to a hobby or a fan page to some artist.
Like http://www.ipass.net/~whitetho/index.html Some are related to a business or a job. Some have nothing but kids or pets. There must be other categories. Show me a range of home pages and your categorization.

Mine is of the “I didn’t feel like doing the dishes so I decided to create a webpage instead but since I don’t actually have a life or a mind or anything useful or entertaining to say and since I don’t have any phenomenal webdesign talents I just tossed up a few photos and some crappy poetry and called it a day” variety.
www.crosswinds.net/~domesticbliss

“…all the prettiest girls live in Des Moines…”
–Jack Kerouac, On the Road

Mine is amateur at best… a tribute to my mom and two pages still in progress…one of my son and I, and a friends page. Waiting for some pics to come back from a recent trip and then hopefully I’ll have the time to finish it up. In the beginning it was therapy and now it’s become something I enjoy. If you peek… don’t laugh…As I said, Im an amateur
http://www.geocities.com/suebeth62/hell.html?940027137330

I am me… accept it or not.

Oh yeah… no skin on my page either…

I am me… accept it or not.

Those I like.
Those I don’t.

And, of course, those that get me into trouble…

I would say most are ‘Beginners.’

You know people who do a page just so they can tell people they have a page. Then they give these extrememly long URLs & the sites themselves usually just say ‘under consctruction.’ uck.

Exhibitionist
Fan Pages
Self Promotion (ThIs iS My PaGe!)
Glorified Bookmarks List
Tribute
Pages that were required to pass CompSci 101
Personal Use pages (place to put pics so grandma can look at them)
Hobbies or Fun Stuff
Showing off Creative Ability or lack thereof (poetry pages, literature pages, artwork pages… etc etc)
Academia (You like rose fungi so much you make a page regarding them that rivals any professional page, but you just did it 'cause you’re a freak.)
Desperate Attempt to Start a Web Design Company using nothing but FrontPage and HTML for Dummies

That’s all I can think of.

My own site falls into “Fan Pages/Academia” for my Watership Down site, “Hobbies/Academia” for my Celestial Byways site about angels and “Showing off Talent or lack thereof” for my drawings.

“I guess it is possible for one person to make a difference, although most of the time they probably shouldn’t.”

You forgot sites like mine that are purely commercial. Which is why I won’t post a link, although, inquiring minds that y’all possess notwithstanding, I doubt I could successfully peddle much synthetic seismic modeling here.

Mine is personal- some pictures (no skin, sorry!), some pet pics. Then it’s semi-commercial- My E-bay items for sale and my Avon page with info on it.
It’s a work in progress, but I’ll be posting loads more pics as soon as I get my Digital Camera for Christmas…

Click here for some GOOD news for a change

Zettecity

Then there’s the amaterur web journalist, with the weekly column. If successful, it turns into the “nearly professional web journalist” page such as: http://www.junkscience.com/

There’s the generic loser homepage. It must be a template in Frontpage or something. Goes like this:

This is Generic Loser’s homepage. I hope you like it!!!

This site best viewed with Netscape or Internet Explorer.

Types of music I like: Rock and Alternative. (This is the watermark of a genuine generic loser page.)

Here are some pictures of my cat/dog:

[Bad pictures, usually in gif or bmp format that take 17 years to load]

Here are some of my favourite links: www.yahoo.com www.excite.com

[Both netscape now and internet explorer logos at the bottom]

Are you saying that liking rock makes one a loser? Or that all losers like Rock, and by liking… say… Blues, one can stop being a loser?

Oh, in with the semi-journalism site is the “Dear diary” sites with updated journals and thoughts and stuff. Mainly useless, but I’ve seen a couple that were quite well done.

“I guess it is possible for one person to make a difference, although most of the time they probably shouldn’t.”

back to beatle’s rocks:
I found RockWare in Colorado, GeoTrace in several sites, GX Technology,Flagshipgeo (very small fonts), Genetek Earth Research Corporation,seismicdocs(? that you?),syner-seis.com,digi-rule, Sperling Geophysics Corporation, soundenergy.com, etc.

I give Google points on this topics, Alta vista :frowning:

I’m taking my site offline now.

“…all the prettiest girls live in Des Moines…”
–Jack Kerouac, On the Road

How could we forget the Insane Rant Page.

You know a hundred thousand word manifesto dedicated to exposing the truthabout how the Catholic Church is actually a front for the Kremlin and the CIA is secretly implanting subliminal messages in every third episode of Vegi-Tales and how Kaiser Wilhelm faked his own death and is secretly running Microsoft from his cryogenic vault and how the Gay Martians are ruining the soil around Des Moines, Iowa and how Kevin Bacon is connected to all this …

Mike? Where was the rant?

sunbear,

Nope, none of the above. We’ve only had the site up for about a week and I’ve been told that it’ll take a few weeks after we registered with all the search engines before we start showing up.

Chris, I didn’t mean that all of those pages suck, but rather that they are categories. I’ve seen poetry/story/art pages with stuff worth looking at (though most are of the “My soul is a tree stump, alone in the cold winter of lost desire” bent), likewise with diary sites, hobby sites… et al.

'Cept for the “ThIs Is mY hOmEpAgE” genre. Those all suck.

I think mine falls under the catagory of “Please validate me” or “Look at me! Look at me! Look at me!” Y’know, like 90% of personal web pages :slight_smile:

“I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it,” Jack Handy

The Kat House
Join the FSH Webring

Generic Loser’s Homepage. Please visit:

Loser

“Stop the rope and let me in or I’ll go out and get some gin”