How abstract would you consider the inside of a large industrial building?

As the thread title asks, how abstract would you consider the inside of a large industrial building to be?

Especially one that is mostly empty?

One of my dreams I just remembered having as a child which featured the inside of a large industrial building inspired me to create this thread.

:confused: Depends on the industry? Some factories built in the 1800’s may be configured around a series of belts to power equipment. The belts would ultimately originate at either a paddle wheel or steam turbine. The factory may thus have numerous passageways for the belts. Smaller/older mills would follow the same theory.

Modern factories tend to just be large open spaces, with equipment arranged as convenient because its now mostly electrical.

I assume you mean abstract like art? I think abandoned/deserted places are fascinating to look at.

You can google for images–Here’s a few good ones.

And this one ESPECIALLY!

Nope.

I think of that as homey. And I’ve spent some time under those flat leather belts and big cast iron spoked pulleys.

Not sure about the space inside, but the stuff around it is generally concrete.

I assume you’re asking whether the inside of an industrial building can be seen as a piece of abstract art. There are photographers who specialize in this type of art. I have done a fair amount of this myself, and would post links except that they’re on a commercial site and I don’t know whether anyone would object to it. Most of my photos of this type are of the outsides of buildings, mainly because I can’t get inside these places without trespassing.

One very famous example is the main turbine hall of the Tate modern gallery in London. It has been home to some major abstract works but can be considered as an abstract entity in itself.

I’d consider the interior of an industrial building the opposite of abstract; it’s often the ultimate in functional. Whether the shapes and space and light could be *interpreted *as abstract art… certainly.

Like Jeff L, I’ve spent a lot of time photographing old industrial buildings and it’s a fascinating combination of the absolutely utilitarian and strikingly beautiful.

but a turbine hall without turbines?..like…whoah man.

An industrial interior refurbished and refinished in industrial-ish colors and textures that never would have been used (or survived) while turbines were operating and being maintained there… that’s whoa.

It’s amazing to me that you guys are all able to answer this question. I’m curious what compositejoe means but as it’s written it sounds about as nonsensical as “Is a pair of pants angrier than a tree?”

Please define what you mean by “abstract”.

I took it to mean, “Is it possible to look at the interior of an industrial building as if it were a piece of abstract art?” That is, if you removed it from its context and considered it as a set of shapes, colors and textures (rather than as something real), would it work as a piece of art?

I just think you’re meeting him more than halfway. He didn’t mention art in his post at all. The only detail was that the question is connected to a dream, which doesn’t support the art interpretation. I admit, I can’t think of any interpretation that makes sense to me.

Zero abstracts. Any physical thing is the opposite of abstract.

The question reminded me of the painter Charles Sheeler. He’s known for exteriors, not interiors, but I think you’d like to see his work. Just do a google image search on his name for tons of examples.