How did you propose?

11:00am Wednesday 6/26/91 - naked in bed -

Him: What do you want to do with the rest of the day?
Me. Dunno. Want to get married?
Him: Sure.
Me: Ventura’s nice. Let’s drive up the coast & get a license.

(3 hours later - license in hand)

Him: Okay, where & when?
Me: (paraphrased) Families suck and live too far away. Want to see if we can find someone to marry us today?
Him: Okay

(two hours later - outside chapel)

Me: Where do you want to go for dinner?
Him: Pie sounds good. Marie Callendars?
Me: Yum.

How did you propose
That was the easy part.

How did you get her to say “Yes”, that is the real question.

I am still not sure how I did it.

I live in fear that she’ll figure out she was duped.

1st kid was about 14 months old and we had just found out that kid #2 was on the way, I promised my girlfriend that we would get married before kid 2 arrived (and we did). :o

It should be noted that I’ve been known to say “I sure am lucky I knocked-up someone I like!” so the ‘proposal’ was me being Mr Romantic :smiley: (almost 5 years & still going strong).

I bought the ring and drove down to Bakersfield ( CA ) and got down on my knee and popped the question. Lucky for me, she said yes and we went out to dinner. The next day, she drove me down to LAX to catch a flight to Kazakhstan. That was 22 years ago.

I had been passively looking at dogs on Kijiji (online classifieds in my area.) He kept saying that we can’t have a dog because we both work and travel, etc., but he still kind of wanted one and wanted me to have one that could run with me so I wasn’t running alone. One evening he handed me his laptop and said “You should call about this dog.” All the ad said was “Free to good home - Blue Tick Coon Hound - female - spayed - loves to run.” (Thank God I had already researched that breed and knew what I’d be getting into!)

Background: when my beagle passed way 3 years prior I decided that my next dog would be named “Ruby Tuesday”. /background

I called the ad and the woman who answered said “Are you calling about Ruby?” (me: :eek:)

So I drove out to the other city and picked up the dog. Brought her home at nearly 11 pm, put her in the house and said “This is Ruby Tuesday. I need to go out right now and get some dog food.” (She didn’t come with anything.)

He said: "You want your ring now too?"

Me: “…? Did you for real get me a ring?”

Him: “Yes. You want it now too?”

Me: “Just…wait until I get back.”

Hurried to the Wal-Mart (because it was just about to close), came back with the dog food, cleaned a puddle up from the carpet, then I sat down and said “What is this ring you’re talking about?”

And that’s how we got engaged.

I had planned on asking her on her birthday which was a few months away. We had stopped not trying to get pregnant a little while before so we knew it might happen. But she had great difficulty getting pregnant in the past so there was every reason to believe she was still going to have those problems. Nope. I wish it had a happy ending. Well it did, just not with her. But we do have two great kids.

Ditto.

Wife’s visa application is pending (they recently asked for a pesky Request for Evidence), but she should be here soon. =)

We were at her parents home in small town Nevada. Her father asked"What are you going to do today?" She said “I thought we might get married.” Her father said “I know the judge. I’ll call him.” About 20 minutes later it was done and has worked out fine for going on 30years.

I started bugging my boyfriend to propose after 4 years of dating. From our first date, I knew he was it so I was tired of waiting.

He worked nights and woke me up when he got home. He handed me a ring box and inside was a Life Saver ’ gummi ring (my fav candy). He said he couldn’t afford one so that would have to do. I rolled over in bed, angry he woke me up to tease me. When I turned around again, he was on his knee with the ring.

Took her out to one of her favorite restaurants on her birthday. Didn’t propose there, because she’s shy and it would’ve embarrassed her terribly and ruined the occasion. Instead I waited until we got home, sat her on the sofa, then got down on one knee and popped the question. Didn’t have a ring, because I knew she’d want to pick her own (as she later did, and still has it). She puddled up a little and beamed and immediately said yes. We called her parents and then mine and they all gave their blessings, as we knew they would.

Our 24th wedding anniversary will be in August.

We were sitting on the sofa watching a James Bond movie when I took the ring out of my pocket and said “Hey, do you want this?”

Smooth operator, that’s me. It’s worked for over 25 years, though.

My intended and I were on a camping trip. From a previous lookup, I already knew that Kentucky and Nevada were the only two states in which an immediate marriage was possible – no waiting period before of after the license, and no medical tests required, no state residence complications. At about 9:30 one morning, smelling like wood smoke, we happened to be driving through the tiny town of Tompkinsville, which was a county seat and had a court house. I said “Let’s go in there and get married”. She said “OK” and an hour later, it was a done deal. Two courthouse clerks, holdings styrofoam cups, were the witnesses, and the marriage was performed by the judge, who had ten minutes free before hearing a scheduled case.

I actually didn’t for the longest time. We just sorta talked about our relationship and decided marriage was the next logical step (helped that I had just gotten orders for Korea, so it was get married or break up, honestly).

A few months after I got her a ring, we realized I didn’t actually propose to her in the traditional sense. So I took the pizza that the Papa Johns guy had just dropped off, dropped to a knee, and opened it with a flourish. I got a dope slap for that. :smiley:

ETA: On the topic of courthouse marriages, we had the paper marriage done at the county courthouse, witnessed by a few friends and her parents (who lived nearby). The judge insisted on a wedding photo with me sitting in his chair in the chambers, and my wife pretending to be about to whallop me with the gavel. Evidently it’s a tradition of his for doing courthouse marriages. Few months later, we did the church wedding with the family and friends and friends and family of family and friends and all that.

Extremely badly.

Fortunately mitigated by the fact that the Eifel Tower was in the background behind me when I did it. (The real one, not the one in Las Vegas).

Her birthday, early July of 2012. Cook-out to celebrate her birthday, about 50 invited guests including my mother and her parents. Temperature in the low 100’s and humidity through the roof. Just a hot, sticky, miserable day. As a result, my soon-to-be-betrothed was less than nice. I believe the exact words I used at one point were “You really need to stop being such a bitch today. I know it is hot but I’m the one cooking on a grill for 50 people so can you please… please be nicer to me today?” I’m a sweet-talker, for sure. I honestly thought about not asking her she was being so cranky from the heat/humidity.

After everyone had had burgers, brats, and various other cook-out foods I brought out her cake. She made her wish and blew out the candles and I said I also made a wish… then got down on one knee, pulled out the ring, and asked her to marry me.

No one in attendance knew that was gonna happen. I heard “Oh God, I’m sweaty and gross!!”. She swears she said “Yes” before that.

I couldn’t be happier.
MeanJoe

It was a few minutes after midnight on New Year’s Day 2013. I had fallen asleep on the sofa. He kneeled beside the sofa and woke me up, wished me a happy New Year, and then pulled out the ring. It was his maternal grandmother’s; there was also a wedding band next to it. He asked me to marry him, and I sleepily said yes. There were hugs and kisses, and the next day we told people.