How Do I Prevent My Wisdom Tooth Cavities From Filling With Crud?

Recently I had my third molars taken out, and everything went okay with the procedure. The problem that I’m having, however, is that I am left with large mouth caverns where my wisdom teeth used to be. Whenever I chew, bits and pieces of food are then forced into the cavities to rot, and they can be very difficult to remove with a toothpick.

What can I do about this? Will these mouth orifices ever go away?? I’m thinking what I need are some sort of prosthetics to plug the openings and keep the partially-chewed food out.

Is anything like this available?

Thanks.

Mine went away and I just lived with it until they did. I don’t recall how long it took, more than a month but less than a year,

What Perderabo said. The cavities will dissipate eventually. In the meantime, short of a Water-Pik, there isn’t much you can do. I found that rinsing my mouth vigorously with water after eating helped.

My dentist gave me a syringe with a fairly blunt needle bent over such that a forceful irrigation of the socket was easily done.

I got one of these as well. It worked quite nicely. That sucks that your surgeon didn’t give you one. I haven’t seen them in stores anywhere. You may want to call the office of the place where you had the teeth out to see if they have any.

That’s what I did, too. Vigorous swishing.

FWIW, my surgeon refused to give me an irrigating syringe. Something about they just couldn’t be passing syringes out to just anybody.

:rolleyes:

Luckily we have syringes in the house for other uses, so I use one without a needle and irrigate them that way. If you can’t get hold of a syringe, though, swish really, really thoroughly every time you eat and it’ll help quite a bit.

Go to a hobby shop that specialized in model airplanes and ask for a glue gun. Most of the ones I have seen are a Monoject 412 which is ideal for mouths and ears. Instead of a socket for a needle it has a curved, tapered plastic tip. I find them so useful I used to buy them in bulk for lube and gluing.

Monoject is the brand my oral surgeon provided.