How do restaurants.com coupons work?

Also, I’ve had it where I’ve bought restaurant.com coupons and the restaurant either goes out of business or decides not to take them anymore. Then I get a credit for the same amount ($10 gift certificate would get a $10 gift certificate). But the big then they don’t tell you is that the credit is good for the website called TheIdealMeal.com. This website looks just like restaurant.com’s but the number of restaurants participating in that one versus restaurant.com’s original is much less.

My favorites in this regard are the Office Depot/OfficeMax discount cards, which are now most often $10 off $50, having slid from $10 off $10 to around $10 off $25… but with an increasingly long list of exclusions that include all technology, all toner and ink, all gifty items… essentially everything except paper, pens and folders. I just throw them away these days.

So you’re saying you’ve never actually read the fine print on a Macy’s coupon.

I’ll help. Here is the actual fine print from an old but very typical coupon on Macys.com.

You’re welcome.

Actually I have… and I’d equate that fine print to the fact that not every restaurant in the world is affiliated with restaurants.com.

If I use that Macy’s coupon on an eligible item I don’t have to do any further research. Get the distinction? Thanks again!

We’re into the theater of the absurd here.

How do you know what an ***eligible ***item is? By doing research.

What is the definition here of doing research? Finding out what items are eligible.

There are always restrictions of some kind unless you are paying with money, either paper or electronic. Even gift cards can’t be used on certain purchases. Some have restrictions on alcohol or tobacco, some on prescriptions. And usually you can’t use a gift card to buy another gift card. Coupons, vouchers, and other discount forms always have restrictions. Anybody who has one has to do the “research,” i.e. read the fine print, to see what they are.

What you’re saying is that after you eliminate the restrictions, you can use a coupon on anything else. Well, yeah. I’m not going to disagree with that. You got me there. But that’s called a tautology and it’s not impressive logic.

I’m not going to stand for my logic being besmirched … but OTOH, my question has been answered and we both have better things to do I’m sure.

Debate or not, I’m pretty sure 15% of $50 isn’t $10. :smack:

So instead of a $20 meal for $20 you get a $30 meal for $20. But do you tip on the $30 or $20?

The universal rule is to tip on the total amount for the food, less bar drinks and tax, regardless of where the final payment comes from. You’re shorting the server otherwise. (And no, you’re not shorting them when you don’t include bar drinks and the tax in the calculation.)

nm