How do you and your SO share driving?

Our general guidelines:

Locally, he usually drives. If we are visiting my parents, I drive because I forget he doesn’t know the area as well as I do and then I neglect to give him directions and then we both get frustrated. That actually works out to about half and half, because we see my family a lot.

He doesn’t drink, so it is nice for me to always have a DD.

Long distance, we share pretty equally.

We have two slight problems with the long distance thing, though. I would prefer to switch about every two or three hours, just to mix things up. He likes to drive for as long as he possibly can before switching. Also, I think he gives directions much too late – I like to know well in advance before our exit comes up, etc. Of course the flip side of this is that he thinks I’m distracting when I provide directions too early.

Himself does not have a license and never has, so I do all the driving. I’m perfectly okay with this, as I have well over 1 million miles behind the wheel and the only accident was from a busted tie rod. I like to drive, it’s my favorite activity that needs to be done with clothes on–mostly… :wink:

I have a friend who is also a driving freak and we road trip pretty often together–whoever’s car we’re using does most of the driving. We usually use his car, though, since it’s new and comfy. I don’t mind, though, as he’s one of the very few people who I’ll trust to drive me anywhere.

We divide up the driving pretty evenly. On this topic though, it’s interesting to remember my parents–whenever they drove somewhere together Dad always drove. Until he had to give up driving, I don’t think I was ever in a car with him whne he wasn’t driving, except when he was teaching me to drive. I imagine that sort of thing was fairly typical of their generation (they were both born in 1924). My wife’s mother, deceased long before we met and born almost 20 years before my parents, never even learned to drive.

I like to drive okay, and I think I’m pretty good at it, but when we’re both in the car, my husband drives almost exclusively and I’m happy to let him. On our ten-day driving trip to Vegas, he drove nearly all the way there and back, knowing that I would take over any time that he wanted a break. He just didn’t really want many. He is also a much better bad weather driver than I am - I am unnerved by heavy rain and snowfall, and it doesn’t bother him at all.

Since I travel all week, I generally do not like driving on the weekends. If we have to go somewhere in the car, I always ask my wife if she is driving. If she doesn’t feel like it, she will say so & I will drive. Otherwise, it’s pretty obvious if she goes to the passsenger side.

My husband drives 95% of the time. I drive rarely, and only under great protest.

This is because I am a very bad driver. I’m technically proficient, but I’m aggressive as hell and exceptionally prone to road rage. I can mostly control these tendencies, but only mostly and it’s a very definite strain for me. If I’m already under stress, then I have very little control over this. It’s embarassing, but there you have it.

I view my refusal to drive as a public service.

My other half only drives if she’s got the car for the day and is driving our daughter and herself somewhere. The rest of the time I drive.

Sometimes I regret letting my ladyfriend drive the car, having seen what scant regard she holds 5th gear in, the (poor) mpg she gets from the car doesn’t surprise me much :dubious:

Right, just what you watch, what you listen to, where you sit. . .

We used to drive about 50-50 until I got a stick shift. I’ve given her some lessons on it, but she hasn’t really shown a desire to learn so now it’s me almost 100%. If we’re going somewhere that I’ll be drinking, she drives her car.

I drive almost all of the time if it is the two of us in the car. My wife doesn’t like to drive and I know the area better than she does. I get annoyed sometimes because she is a bit of a backseat driver even though she hates driving. Also infuriating is when she asks me to drop her off at a friend’s place instead of taking the car herself. (we share one car). She says that she’d rather do it that way so she doesn’t have to look for parking.

I can think of two reasons…

Her humongous personality, and her enormous smile?

It depends. For the most part, I take the nasty traffic driving because he has no patience for it, and he takes the ambling country road driving because I like to look at the scenery. Unless it’s someplace out here he hasn’t been to and I have, and then I’ll drive so he can stare at the pretty greenery.

I do most of the nighttime driving since hubby’s night vision is horrible. He tries to drive all the time during any day trips we take, but I am a nervous passenger ever since I had a wreck in my teens. If I insist loudly and obnoxiously enough, he’ll hand over the keys.

It’s just as well, because he’s got some pretty annoying, and potentially dangerous, driving habits:

-he doesn’t use his turn signal until he’s already in the process of turning

-he drifts into other lanes while craning his neck to see whatever has caught his interest

-we have right-turn lanes here, and he refuses to use them

-he’s in denial about how poor his distance-judgment is, so he routinely slams on his brakes when he sees brakelights ahead…even if they are 100 yards in front of us

He is (IMHO) a horrible driver, and I just don’t feel as nervous when I’m driving, so I try to do it as often as possible. It helps that I feel completely comfortable driving in all weather conditions and every possible traffic situation. I love multi-lane freeways, so I get to drive (THANK OG!) when we are in large cities.