how do you know if someone is not nice

I was reading though a list some columnist wrote and one of the entries was

• A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.

and I thought to myself “How true”

I was wondering if anyone else can come up with any other says similar that convey the same meaning, I’d like to compile a top 10 or something of that nature

A person who is nice to you, but shoves a rusty meathook up the mailman’s nether orifice, is not a nice person.

My mother always told me, “you can tell a lady or a gentleman by how they treat the help,” which is another way of saying the same thing. If that is what you were asking.

How they talk about their family:

Here’s where you can find out a lot: if they’re a born victim, an immature baby or spoiled brat, or if they have an understanding of their own nature or any sense of humanity. Highly subjective.

How they talk about their friends:
Someone who surrounds themselves with people that they call “dumbasses” or “name-drops” e.g. “my friend is a concert promoter, rocket scientist, etc.” If they spend more time talking about their friends–especially to make fun of them, not good.

How they talk about ex-friends/partners/lovers:
“What a crazy bitch!” is an excellent example of a warning shot off the port bow that this is not a nice person.

How they talk about themselves:

Self-haters, insecurities, arrogance, etc…

And definitely the clue about how they treat other people they come in casual contact with–and how considerate and thoughtful they are when they drive, stuff like that. Sorry I don’t have a top ten, but this is all I can think of off the top of my head. These things are all really subjective anyway, you might really like a nattering nabob of negativism for a lover and this could be part of your “what I want” list if you’re into that sort of thing. Sometimes people find inconsistancy and cruelty titillating. So you never know, I mean, these mean people must breed somehow.

I think a definite warning sign is seeing them walk up to an adorable, big-eyed, waggy, clumsy little puppy and just start kicking the shit out of it.

Also, anyone with a maniacal laugh should probably be avoided as well.

Beware the man who has no male friends or the woman who has no female friends.
Or people that cause dogs to snarl and cower and birds to drop dead out of the sky…bad news.

Check Santa’s List

Its funny though, when people are young, it’s which people are nice & which are not, older a person gets it becomes, how much nice there is in the person.

My personal niceness tests are:How do they treat their Mother? How do they treat children? How do they treat animals?