How do you think the GOP is looking at the midterm results?

Voter reactions seem to vary. We kinda sorta know what Trump thinks. But how do you think Republicans currently in power in DC and elsewhere are reacting? What are they taking out of the results?

Only a third of the Senate can change in any one election, so the majority is always at a distinct advantage in that it’s very hard for any dramatic shifts. So even not losing any seats is pretty good, let alone gaining some. So they’re certainly happy so far as maintaining the Senate in the coming years goes.

You can always get the House back. And, more importantly, now the party can let the Democrats block Trump. They can back the President, demonize the Dems, get points with the base, and not screw the country over. Win win.

Pretty good probably.

Their turnout was incredibly high. Almost 50 million. Keep in mind the 2010 election had only 45 million republicans show up to vote. More republicans came out to vote in 2018 than in 2010.

So I’d say a success.

Had their turnout only been 40 million, it would’ve been a total blowout. The dems would have won the senate, probably 250+ house seats and maybe 600+ state legislature seats.

I’d say a few ways.

1. The groundlings will see it as a victory because that’s what they’re being told it is. ‘We took seats in the Senate!’, they’re told and they’ll believe it and talk about it.

2. The adults - those who actually understand elections and campaigns - will see it as an anticipated loss and begin preparing for next time. They know they have a motivated base - good - and an unpopular president - bad - who may do some damn wonky things over the next two years - bad. They’ll also know that the 2020 Senate map isn’t nearly as favorable - 22 R defenses vs 12 D defenses - and begin to plan accordingly. That’s what professionals do. They don’t go for the hype.

With only 1 exception I think we got off better than we thought we would. We actually gained in the Senate and the Democratic gain in the House, while they won control, is not as overwhelming as anticipated. We still control both sides of the legislature in my state. Given Trumps mental tweets and unpopularity the election could have been a complete disaster. It wasn’t. And that raises hope for 2020.

The only real significant wound I feel is the loss of Governor Walker. Given the state of our economy and the changes we’ve seen in the past 8 years there was no reason for the people to have a hissy fit and replace him. Before anyone credits the unions and the teachers I remind you that they hated him in 2014 and he got reelected. I am a union member and a government employee and I was more than happy with his performance. Hopefully the Republican Senate and Assembly will prevent Evers from getting much of his idiotic agenda though, and in 4 years the people realize what a stupid error they made.

The ones running the party? They are relieved that it didn’t go worse. The election followed historic trends but not nearly as bad as it could have been. They still control the Senate. They control who gets into the Supreme court. The democrats didn’t get a supermajority in the house. Expected but not horrible for Republicans.

If it weren’t for Kavanaugh, it could have been a wipeout loss. Kavanaugh got many otherwise listless Republicans to the polls.

He also got lots of progressive women to the polls. The exit polls showed more voters opposed Kavanaugh than supported him.

2020 is not that favorable for the Dems. Of those 22 R defenses, 18 are in states that are more than +9R. The D side has 4 defenses ranging from +1.7 R and +2.1 D, plus Alabama. That’s why an analyst on election night was saying that if the Republicans got 54 Senate seats last Tuesday it would almost guarantee control of the senate to 2022.

This.

Being a mid-term election with a POTUS who can’t STFU this election could have been a major disaster. It wasn’t. It wasn’t even on par for a mid-term election.

I think the divisiveness on the issues brought out voters from both sides, and a fairly decent economy kept the Dems from getting the super majority they might have otherwise gotten.

Really?

538’s current House forecast is for a 38 seat loss for the president’s party.

Not much worse than other unpopular presidents’ performances but clearly reflective of his being an unpopular president.

But yes … if the Obama recovery had stalled under Trump this would have been a much bigger blow out. And turnout was indeed high from both sides. When turnout is high on both sides nationally Ds win.

One word: Foxconn.

If I’m playing the red pieces here, not just holding on in the Senate, but gaining a seat or two (depending on FL; I expect the pros have already written off McSally) means that even if both Collins and Murkowski oppose a nominee, the nominee still gets confirmed. So two more years of stocking up on judges and maybe even another Justice.

The House is gone, but legislation isn’t the party’s forte anymore, and we already passed our big tax cut, so who cares about the House? As long as we hold the Senate, life is good.

And CarnalK is right about the Dems’ Senate prospects in 2020: the vast majority of those 22 R seats are just plain out of reach. We’ve got a decent (if Nelson pulls it out) to very good (if Skeletor hangs on) chance of still controlling the Senate after 2020.

If Trump wins re-election (I’d be skeptical; the economy’s been expanding for just shy of a decade - it’s going to go south sometime, and probably before November 2020), that means another two years of remaking the courts, and an increased likelihood of making the Supreme Court 6-3 Republican. And if he loses, we can block the new Dem President’s nominees. How cool is that?

And these last two years are, presumably, what he’s going to point at for the next two years, right? Saying, hey, remember how great the economy was back when there was no Democrat obstructionism in Congress? But then, once they started saying ‘no’, things weren’t so great. So, to make America great again…

Tell me that won’t be the go-to line. (Well, unless the economy is great in 2020; in which case he’ll presumably just take all the credit.)

With a 52-seat Senate majority, we could see 22-24% of all SCOTUS/district/appellate judges being Trump nominees by the end of Trump’s term.

What gets me is, it’s hardly unthinkable that the two eightysomething Justices on the Supreme Court — Ginsburg and Breyer — could get replaced; and, in the context of those two being replaced by folks who’d presumably be their ideological opposites, and the context of Kennedy stepping down to get replaced by a former Kennedy law clerk, it’s hardly unthinkable that Thomas would step down in favor of a handpicked successor who’ll cite him glowingly instead of rolling the dice on the next administration tapping his ideological opposite.

And, if so, the Supreme Court is — 5 Trump appointees and 4 other people?

Thoughts and prayers.

The conservative New York Post had a column that summarizes the good aspects for Republicans.

Possible NSFW images at side and bottom of page.

We thank Mr. Chapman for his concern.

The title of the thread is “How do you think the GOP is looking at the midterm results?” Why bother answering without quoting conservatives?