How Does "Suicide" Work???

When does one pass from the fairly blase stage of “not really having a will to live” to the more active stage of “not actually wanting to live?”

Emotionally, I am not a happy camper right now and occasionally I entertain the idea of not being a camper at all anymore. But, all in all, I certainly don’t honestly want to exit the campground. It’s just an idea. (Please don’t call my ISP and report me, this is only a messageboard thread!)

Yeah, major depression and all that. Pretty straight forward.

My question, though, is how do these feelings “work?” When do these feelings cease being just feelings, and actually start being potential actions? I’ve been depressed many times before, delt with it, and come out on the winning edge. But the odds of sucumbing are always there. Sometimes I feel like a quick dive off the Golden Gate Bridge might not be such a bad idea. Maybe “not being” is actually a better alternative to “being”. The idea crosses my mind. And it crosses it more and more lately.
So what’s up? Am I weak and just not wanting to exert the energy to make my current situation better? Or might this be something that I’m going to have to really dig myself out of?

Can we discuss the actual concept of “suicide?”
[SIZE=1-This is in the pit because I 'm in the pit. The anger and confusion I have is more than what should be in GD. But Mods, please move if appropriate.[/SIZE]

The fact that you have entertained these ideas, regardless of how serious you thought you were about them, is rather alarming. I would suggest a visit to the doc for your depression. They can fix that type of thing nowadays. The reasons for your thoughts may very well be grounded in science and chemistry, things which can be changed to your favor.

Suicide is always a viable option.

You’re simply experiencing a mix-up in your brain chemistry. Once you fix that (easily done by medication), you’ll be better able to change your situation. No shame here–just a medical condition like any other.

I don’t have much personal input, but the book The Noonday Demon: An Atlas of Depression has a very interesting chapter on suicide, with objective studies as well as personal experiences of the author. Actually, the whole book is excellent.

Did you really need to post that 3 times, Acidkid?

Suicide is never the only option.

Well, sometimes the opportunity just kind of comes allong, and you forget the reasons that you have used in the past to put away the idea. After a couple of failed attempts whilst much younger, I learnt that after the attempt I was not nearly as suicidal feeling. This lead me to create a “brain game” where I told myself “if I realy wanted to die, I would be able to hold my breath until I died or at least became unconcious”. Thereafter whenever I felt the ‘need’ for suicide I would simply attempt to hold my breath until unconciousness. Not surprisingly I was not able to attain unconciousness this way, less expectidly I non the less felt less suicidal for having made the attempt.
Later in life I learnt that I was ill with depression, and that this behaviour, and the feelings I had were not only not normal, but also to some extent curable. Since then I have been using anti-depressants that have abaited my suicidal feelings.
Cheers, Bippy

That’s a really fucking stupid thing to say, even once.

I go there occasionally. I’ve been on mood stablilzers for bipolar disorder, but I like the highs too much. I just didn’t enjoy feeling flat and the stabilizers took away my emotional rewards and my sex drive.
Knowing that I’m bipolar and the depression will pass makes it bearable for me.

Sorry 'bout that

I thought it quite witty besides being true.
vi·a·ble Adjective: 1. Capable of living
Your profanity on the other hand…

So, just remind yourself that it will pass. Life always changes.

Think again. While it may be true, it’s not the slightest bit witty. And it is fucking stupid.

(By the way, so is posting a whole ATMB thread to apologize for a multiple post. :rolleyes: )

Fucking stupid is right. Think about what you say before you say it - just a suggestion.

There are many different thoughts regarding suicide. There’s the suicide thoughts where you say “They’ll miss me if I did it!” where you are mainly seeking attention. There is also the “wow, what would the world be like without me…” thoughts, that’s generally just meaning you might be facing your own mortality, or you look past yourself to other things. However, it can be bad. Then there’s the “I want to die” which generally is when most people go see the doc – if it lasts, say, over a month without a real break. If it’s only been a week or so, the doctor will probably ask you to check in later. However, suicide gets dangerous when you start to think of it as something you normally think of – it is not normal, unless you have a mental condition such as borderline personality – and even then, you work with it, you don’t let it do what it wants. I would suggest going to see a doctor, talk it over, etc. Or even calling a suicide hotline, shrug, just explain you’re a tad worried and want some info and advice. No big deal, and very helpful in most cases.

However, you know it’s bad when you think “I want to drive off the bridge after work, I’ll leave my wife a note on the pillow telling she can have the dog, the car, the house, and give my stamps to my kids…” and when you start giving stuff away beforehand, as well. Also, realize that your moods affect others. So going to the doctor might help more than just you. I’m not saying your moods affect others now, just that I can assure you depression is an evil monster that only gets worse if you don’t nip it in the derriere ASAP.

If you need to talk, my emails Blueroses413@yahoo.com
/Shadez

There are many different thoughts regarding suicide. There’s the suicide thoughts where you say “They’ll miss me if I did it!” where you are mainly seeking attention. There is also the “wow, what would the world be like without me…” thoughts, that’s generally just meaning you might be facing your own mortality, or you look past yourself to other things. However, it can be bad. Then there’s the “I want to die” which generally is when most people go see the doc – if it lasts, say, over a month without a real break. If it’s only been a week or so, the doctor will probably ask you to check in later. However, suicide gets dangerous when you start to think of it as something you normally think of – it is not normal, unless you have a mental condition such as borderline personality – and even then, you work with it, you don’t let it do what it wants. I would suggest going to see a doctor, talk it over, etc. Or even calling a suicide hotline, shrug, just explain you’re a tad worried and want some info and advice. No big deal, and very helpful in most cases.

However, you know it’s bad when you think “I want to drive off the bridge after work, I’ll leave my wife a note on the pillow telling she can have the dog, the car, the house, and give my stamps to my kids…” and when you start giving stuff away beforehand, as well. Also, realize that your moods affect others. So going to the doctor might help more than just you. I’m not saying your moods affect others now, just that I can assure you depression is an evil monster that only gets worse if you don’t nip it in the derriere ASAP.

If you need to talk, my emails Blueroses413@yahoo.com
/Shadez

Entertaining thoughts about suicide isn’t a big deal. Seriously considering that option is another matter altogether.

“I’m a bad boy!”.

Someone with the name Mad Dod 20/20 says he’s comtemplating suicide. Well, duh!

Yeah, that extra header takes up a lot of room :rolleyes:.
Putting it there, under the eyes of the administrators, just might help others who find themselves unintentionally double posting.

Obligary information for bleeding heart liberals: Mad Dog, read The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus.:rolleyes:

Forget those bleeding hearts. The title of this thread is

I see you’re looking for practical advice.

[Links deleted by Administrator

No prize to the posters who suggests I commit suicide. :o