How fucking hard is it to open a sugar packet without spilling sugar all over?

…tiptoes in … puts box of sugar cubes on Bienville’s counter … silently glides out.

I have never opened a sugar packet without spilling, so I’m guessing it’s pretty hard.

That’s a bit astonishing to me. Never? Jeepers! I won’t go as far as to say I’ve never spilled anything, but no more than one time in maybe two hundred.

I mostly use Nutrasweet, but I often use salt and pepper packets. I like to tear packets two or three at a time, and even that way, I rarely spill any.

Maybe I should teach classes at the local after-hours adult educational center!

No kidding. There’s this trick to it, called holding the packet over the cup. I know it’s hard to conceptualize, but since the thing that might be spilled is going into the cup of coffee/whatever anyway. Well, you get the idea, no?

And if there’s a little spillage anyway, and a few grains of sugar/splenda/whatever still hit the counter/table/desk, I really want to know why it’s so difficult to wipe them off.

I’d be happy if my dearest cow-orkers would throw away the milk that’s in the fridge that’s expired SINCE LAST YEAR.

Man.

At work we sell coffee. Two or three times throughout the day we have to go and wipe down the area…except after this one lady, have to go clean up the whole coffee area after she’s done. She must get more sugar and cream on the counter then in her cup. I don’t know what she’s doing over there but she makes a huge fucking mess. It’s like she’s opening the packets and just pouring them right on the counter and grabbing the cream and pouring them all over the floor. She must be trying to do it wrong. Maybe she has a drinking problem.

Makes sense…but ain’t how I do it. First, I shake the package (hubba hubba, shake that package, stud-boy!) – so that all the powder is at one end of it. Then I tear off a thin strip of the other end.

It’s rare for me to spill a single grain.

Over Macho Grande?

Then there’s this other trick, where you hold the top of the packet between thumb and forefinger and swing it gently a few times, so that the sugar falls to the bottom (er, or like Trinopus said). Then you tear open the top of the packet and TADA!! Grains of sugar still scatter everywhere. But hey, at least you tried.

Because it’s bloody hard to see through the tears welling up as you realize yet again your abject failure as a human being.

Blessed are the cheese makers?

Grin! I guess this just must be my unique superpower.

(Do I get X-Ray vision? No. Do I get invisibility? No. Do I get a protective force field? No. I get the ability to open sugar packets without spilling! Thanks bunches! I need to make an appointment with the James Randi Foundation!)

It’s actually quite easy to open a sugar packet without spilling any.

I don’t do it that way.

Because I hate you.