How Many Sci Fi Sounds Can You Recognize?

1. Missed this one,

What movie is this from?

1. It! The Terror from Beyond Space
  2. It Came from Outer Space
  3. Earth vs. The Flying Saucers
  4. Village of the Damned

CMC +fnord!

It was the older ones that tripped me up since there are a few of the classics I haven’t seen.

Allthough I’m sorry to say I’ve only watched a couple episodes of Red Dwarf.

Earth vs. The Flying Saucers

I guessed on that one, just based on the titles.

But I had “help” from my daughter, who has watched more visual SF over the past twenty years than I have. Every one of her suggestions was wrong.

It! The Terror From Beyond Space and It Came From Outer Space were monster movies. It’s been a while since I’ve seen Village Of The Damned, but I don’t recall any communications from aliens in it. (At least not in the way presented in the clip, which I don’t remember what it was.) So even if you haven’t seen Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers it would be a good guess by the process of elimination. :wink:

So, does anyone want to post the correct answers?

I got 72. I’m not a big sci fi movie fan, so I’m surprised I got that much!

From memory, so I hope I get the details right:

1. The five-tone sequence is the song the aliens play from Close Encounters of the Third Kind, directed by Steven Spielberg.

2. The computer’s voice is the HAL 9000 from 2001: a Space Odyssey, directed by Stanley Kubrick. The actor’s voice I can’t remember.

3. The girl screams because she sees Frankenstein’s monster. I couldn’t tell you who directed that. :slight_smile:

4. “Can I be of service, sir?” The line is from Forbidden Planet, spoken by Robbie the Robot. Robbie also appeared in the movie Gremlins and many of his lines from Forbidden Planet were cribbed from that movie into Gremlins.

5. “Danger: the emergency destruct system is now activated.” This is when Ripley attempts to destroy the Nostromo in the movie Alien, directed by Ridley Scott. It isn’t Star Trek III, because the puzzled Klingon lieutenant says “it sounds like counting.” It isn’t the destruct sequence from Galaxy Quest because that computer has a male voice.

6. The ray-gun sound was from War of the Worlds (the 1953 original, not the recent remake).

7. The sound of the howling spaceship is a TIE fighter from one of the Star Wars movies.

8. “Your move, creep.” This is Peter Weller as Robocop in the Paul Verhoeven film.

9. The sound of the woman being shot comes from Logan’s Run.

10. The creepy alien noises are the giant ants from Them!. I had to guess on this one, because the question said “creatures,” plural, and the other titles were singular.

11. “The Captain is not on the ship.” Majel Barrett-Roddenberry as the voice of the Enterprise computer, from Star Trek: the Next Generation.

12. The snarling monster sounds like a velociraptor from Jurassik Park.

13. “We operate in a very different time reference.” From Earth vs. the Flying Saucers. I had to guess on this one.

14. “End of line.” The voice of the Master Control Program (voiced by David Warner) in Tron.

No peeking until you’ve played!

1. Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
2. HAL 9000
3. Frankenstein (rather distinctive ‘Grrr!’)
4. Forbidden Planet
5. Alien
6. War Of The Worlds
7. TIE fighter from Star Wars
8. Robocop
9. Logan’s Run
10. Them!
11. Star Trek
12. Jurassic Park
13. Earth vs. The Flying Saucers
14. Tron

Ah, bugger, Fish!

Hubby got 100 - I got 0

Tells you who wears the pants in the family :wink:

Olive

Nitpicker. :stuck_out_tongue: Nothing like a half-dressed, hot chick floating weightless in a spaceship.

The shiny aluminum pants, that is.

Cite? :wink:

I got 85 some old stuff I didn’t recognize.

It’s X-Mas day and I’m pissed (really I am) I got 78 and that-s weieierd. I am pretty sure I got the firsrt 15+ right — where did I goo wrong from there?

I ought to know my space sounds, right?

PS. . . posting pissed is fiun, innt?

nah… suffit

1. I’m happy with that given the age of some of the films.

And I wish I had a tron costume.

Like this guy’s?

I got a 92. I don’t mind that I missed one, but it’s really bugging me that the computer knows about the Tron costume.

:wink:

Jeez.

1. Not bad considering I’m not intensely geekish (e.g. seen “Alien” only once, not seen many of the old 50s-60s classics or not in their entirety). Some were a matter of certain telltale phrases (“runner terminated”) or recognizable voices in the dialogue. The one with the flyby sound completely baffled me, for one…