How much would you pay for the Perfect Weight Loss Pill?

Whaddya know? RickPharmaCo has invented the Perfect Weight Loss Pill, which has been dubbed Ricktrex.

Ricktrex truly is a miracle of modern science. It is sold in small caplets. If you take a caplet, you will lose eight ounces of additional weight over the following 24 hours. This eight ounces of weight loss stacks with whatever else you were doing - so if you overate that day and would be expected to gain four ounces (not counting water weight) and take the pill, you will lose four ounces that day. If you’re on a juice fact and would be expected to lose eight ounces anyway, and take the pill, you’ll lose a full pound.

Ricktrex will make your body lose this weight in a conveniently pleasing manner for your looks, as it first seems to burn fat in your areas of most fat accumulation. However, weight loss is its only effect; if you wanna get muscular and shredded you still have to hit the gym.

Ricktrex is so masterfully engineered that only one pill a day will work. You can’t overdose or lose too much weight; any pill you take above one a day simply does nothing. One pill, two, 100; you lose eight ounces.

Ricktrex has been proven in clinical trials to have almost no side effects. The only side effect is that you’ll poop an additional eight ounces of poo a day, because that’s where Ricktrex sends your fat.

So this is my question; suppose Ricktrex existed. It’s truly safe - you know that every thing I wrote above is 100% true. What would you pay for it?

I’d pay a pretty fair amount.

Hmm… I don’t need to lose that much weight. Strictly speaking I don’t need to lose weight, it’s more a matter of avoiding gaining, and trimming down from “OK” to “more optimal” since I’ve taken off about 8 pounds since last year with my own efforts.

So I’d only buy it if it were cheap, since apparently I can get the same results on my own with a little more effort.

Lots of other people would probably pay a LOT, though, judging by how popular stuff like fad diets and liposuction are.

Is it covered by insurance?? :wink:

Tough question, tho. Let’s say one wanted to lose 25# - that’s 50 tablets, assuming all else stays the same. And let’s go with the optimistic 2# loss/week on Weight Watchers.

WW (Weight Watchers) costs exactly the same for both women and men, but the monthly cost depends on which plan you sign up for. Here are the current prices for WW plans per month, week, and day: WW Digital: $20.95/month, $4.83/week, $0.69/day. WW Workshop (Meetings): $54.95 /month, $12.68/week, $1.85/day.

2# /week on Ricktrex would be 4 caplets. To compete with WW digital rate, that’d come to just over $1.20 per pill. But you wouldn’t be changing what/how you cooked, so there’s the convenience factor, and potential grocery savings, since it can be expensive to buy the fresh and non-processed foods. So it might be worth $4-5 per tablet.

Market it to vacationers (Eat what you want on cruise without worrying about weight gain!!!) and you might even get $10 each!

I arrived at the price $50 per pill, by considering how the impact of lifelong obesity compares with the impact of wealth (or lack thereof) in my life. If I kept spending five or ten thousand dollars a year on this indefinitely and had a healthy body weight as a result it would be worth it.

How much would I pay to lose 70 pounds in 140 days, getting me to my goal weight? Just spitballing with round numbers, $14,000 would be worth it to me, or $100 a pill.

People would pay a lot for this. In my experience, any given day or even week of calorie restriction isn’t that hard, but it’s hard to withstand that feeling of deprivation every day for months on end. A pill like that would be useful even if it didn’t work in a hurry.

My parents did Fen-Phen or some other amphetamine cocktail a few years ago that essentially does the same thing, suppresses the appetite sensation so it’s not uncomfortable to lose weight. I think it was something like $10 a day treatment but it really worked, each of them lost 60-80 pounds. But they never learned how to limit their eating, and I guess their new body shape wasn’t that motivating, so unfortunately they gained it back.

$5-$10 a pill. I’ve lost a substantial bit of weight the last few months so the question (to me) is how much would I value not doing the diet & exercise routine to lose the same amount or a little more. On the surface, I would have gone $10-$20 a day but (a) I chaff at a recurring $20 daily payment and (b) I recognize that I would be missing the health benefits of my exercise which means I probably should be doing it anyway. And I’d still have to watch my diet to some extent – losing 8oz a day won’t help much if I’m eating like calories don’t matter. So, with those mitigating factors, I lower its personal value by half.

What happens when you reach your desired weight and stop taking the pill?

The “perfect” weight loss pill would need to kill and dispose of unwanted fat cells. Otherwise, losing weight just makes them smaller, which causes them to create chemicals that stimulate hunger feelings. So it sounds like, as they are, I would start getting hungrier and eat more and lose less weight every day. And if I managed to avoid that, maintenance afterwards would be a bitch for at least 5 years until the fat cells start dying off on their own.

So if it does kill and dispose of fat cells, I would pay a lot (to be determined). If not, it’s just another plan for failure.

Another question: what happens if you keep taking them and get too skinny? What about people who have body dysmorphia and want to look skeletal because otherwise they think they’re fat? Does the magic pill have a solution for that?

No. You must pay out of pocket.

Depends how much you eat and exercise. All Ricktrex does it take off eight ounces of fat a day. Once you stop taking it, that stops happening.

Which doestn’t answer the more important question of how (or in what form) does the fat get taken off – as fat cells disappeared, or as fat cells reduced in size. It makes a huge difference to the result, and the ability to maintain the weight loss.

By the time I had lost 80 lb, my eating habits had changed, apparently permanently since I have not gained anything since. I am still technically overweight (BMI between 26 and 27), but neither my doctor nor my wife wants me to go further. So I wouldn’t want them at any price.

Let’s say fat cells disappear.

I could stand to lose just a few pounds, although my weight’s been essentially stable for years. I’d be willing to pay, say, $50 a pill. Then I’d maintain my current diet and exercise habits once I got down to the weight I wanted. That should do the trick.

Let me know when you have FDA approval!

Being a 150-pound man, I don’t need to lose much weight overall, but I do need specifically targeted fat loss - burning the abdominal fat that lines the organs and is more dangerous (and is a diabetes risk.) I’d happily pay a thousand dollars a year to keep the fat in that region minimized to the optimal level. But I can’t afford more than that.

A lot. Considering this could literally change the trajectory of the years I have left on this earth, I’d probably be willing to take a second mortgage.

Given how much I’ve paid for less than perfect weight-loss-solutions anything under $25/pill would probably be a savings.

Each pill lets you lose half a pound with no effort? And, you could also take a pill and overindulge with little negative effect? It’s worth a lot. At least $25-50 a pill.

Can I invest in your company? Say put $10K down?

I knew Sergey Brin when the idea of a new search engine was just a gleam in his eye. I sure wish I’d made that offer to him.

The pill makes you half a pound lighter every day than if you had not taken it. It is possible to take it and gain weight anyway, if you eat a ridiculous amount of food. If in a single day you consume 6,000 calories, burn just 2,500, and take the pill, you’ll GAIN roughly eight ounces of weight.

Then I’m in with both feet, and you can name your price.

Yes, I understood the concept as the OP outlined it.