How should I online date?

So I’m doing the match.com thing again and I’m pretty pleased with the way things are going. I’ve had some good luck getting some correspondence going with some ladies I’m interested in.

I’m wondering about the whole dating several people at the same time and how long it’s okay to do that before narrowing the focus to a single person. To the inevitable response “just like you would if you had met them any other way”, I would say that I’ve never dated more than one person at a time and am not really familiar with how any of that works. So far, there is no stand-out, ahead-of-the-pack, clear-cut, preferred individual.

Any suggestions? Relevant experience? Do’s and don’ts?

Meet people face-to-face as soon as possible.

Meet in public places like a coffee shop.

Meet and date anyone you like, as many as you like, making sure that everyone knows what’s going on (don’t let anyone think they’re exclusive when they aren’t, in other words). I think it will work itself out fairly quickly, any way. If you do start dating someone seriously, tell the others as soon as possible if there’s any expectations from them that you are also going to keep dating them.

Good luck, have fun, and be careful out there!

• featherlou, married for over four years to a guy from the internet

I just started doing the online dating thing too, and like you, I’d never dated more than 1 girl at any one time. By some amazing stroke of horrible luck, the first 2 girls I went out with worked together and were work buddies! I admitted to both that I had no plans going exclusive just yet, and hoped that the “working together” situation wouldn’t weird anyone out.

One took it well. The other freaked. The situation worked itself out.

Anyway, I guess my advice is don’t worry about it… these things have a way of working themselves out. Good luck.