How to choose in which board to post a thread

I recently asked for some advice on which board would be most appropriate to post a thread about the following story:

A Mother in California witnessed her daughter being attacked by a Boxer dog and grabbed her handgun and shot and killed the dog.

Munch and Gary “Wombat” Robson posted the following samples and I thought they were very helpful so I have reproduced them here in the hope they may be of help to others. Perhaps some mod will agree and move this post (perhaps modifying it to make it more useful). I certainly do give my permission to any mod who wishes to modify this info.

The following is a list of all the boards in this forum together with an abbreviated version of their descriptions.

About This Msg Board - For all questions, comments, and complaints about the SDMB. This is also the place for test threads.
Comms on Cecil’s Columns - Say what you really think. Please, don’t gush.
Comms on Staff Reps - For comments on Staff Reports (formerly called “Mailbag Answers”) contributed by the Straight Dope Science Advisory Board.
General Questions - Got a factual question for the Teeming Millions (and possibly Cecil) to consider? Post it here.
Great Debates - For long-running discussions of the great questions of our time. This is also the place for religious debates and (if you feel you must) witnessing.
Cafe Society - Our salon for art, drama, literature, movies, music, comics, cuisine – all the artistic disciplines – if it’s about creativity, entertainment, or leisure, it goes here.
The Game Room - For games and sports of all sorts, including video games, board games, party games, role-playing games, cards, and puzzles.
In My Humble Opinion - What’s your favorite …? For frank exchanges of views on less-than-cosmic topics. This is also the place for polling.
Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share - For general discussion: from frivolous chatter to deep thoughts; from harmless diversions to life-changing announcements.
The BBQ Pit - For rants about the world or beefs with another poster. Comments and complaints about SDMB administration should go in About This Message Board.

The Barn House - For discussion of fixing up old houses, city life, the Brotherhood of the Right Way, and anything else inspired by Ed Zotti’s book THE BARN HOUSE: Confessions of an Urban Rehabber
—Chicago Related Boards
Sweet Home Chicago - For miscellaneous chatter about life in Da Greatest City in Da World
Out on the Town - For all discussion relating to food, restaurants, cooking, shopping, arts, theatre, music, etc.
Questions, Comments for SD Chicago/Paulina St. Journal Columns - If you’ve got something to say about Cecil’s Straight Dope Chicago column or Ed Zotti’s Paulina St. Journal maunderings, here’s the place for it.

ATMB : “Why did the mods move my dog thread?”
CoCC :
CoSR :
GQs : “What countries statistically have the most dog attacks per capita?”
GDs : “Who’s at fault: the mother or the pet owner?”
CS : “Does anyone have any good recipes for cooking the dog that attacked my kid?”
TGR : “Has anyone played the new ‘Dogs vs. Kids’ game on XBox?”
IMHO : “What breed of dog do you think is best with children?”
MPSIMS : “Huh - here’s an interesting article about a mother who shot a dog who was attacking her child.”
BBQ PIT : “Damn these stupid pet owners who let their dogs out without a leash!!!”

Munch recommended using Google to search this forum. Munch posted, “Searching with Google - Place “site:boards.straightdope.com” into your search box, along with any key words you want, and use Google to search instead of the TSD search tool. Also, if you start the search with “site:boards.straightdope.com”, the next time you go to Google and start typing your search string, it should pop up automatically.”

Post it in either MPSIMS or IMHO. It really isn’t a big deal.

If you go to the general main page, all the forums have a variation of those descriptions of what sort of thread goes in it. When in doubt, just think about what you’re trying to accomplish by sharing it. If it’s just to share with the world and you’re not out to piss off anyone, just stick it in MPSIMS.

Joanie,

Once again, while we appreciate your diligence, it’s not a big deal. If a thread is started in a forum, and we decide it belongs in a different one, we move it.

Gfactor
Administrator