How to find friends on Facebook

It has been a long time since I tried to find a friend on FB, but I tried just now and was asked for email and password, which I supplied. It then claimed it could not read my contact list at that address. I never asked it to; I want to search for someone by name that I have never had e-contact with anyway. But it stalled at that point. Is there any other way to search for someone on FB?

It sounds like you were using a “feature” of FB where if you give it your email account (Yahoo, GMail) information it will scan your contacts for anyone using the same email address on FB. That doesn’t appear to be what you want. Frankly, the fact that your email account info didn’t work is a blessing in disguise, be thankful FB didn’t get that info. It’s a pain in the butt.

If you’re logged into FB there’s a search field at the top of the page, right next to the FB icon. Just type your friend’s name there and you’ll get a list of possible FB users with that name. You’ll have to figure out which is your friend from photos and other context. FB will try to sort them by who has the most likely connection to you.

Right. That worked. Thanks.