This Shortlist article lists ten dumber than soap interview questions which, for some inexplicable reason, recruiters think it’s a good idea to ask. I was just wondering how you guys would answer them.
- How many tennis balls are used during the course of Wimbledon?
- Estimate the total number of cars in the UK.
- How many calories in a grocery store?
- How would you sell a fridge to an Eskimo?
- What would you take with you to a lonely island and why?
- Is Batman a superhero?
- You have 17 red and 17 blue balls, and you remove two at a time. If the two are the same colour, add in one extra blue ball. If they are different colours, add in one extra red ball. What colour is the final ball removed?
- What cartoon character would you be and why?
- What is the wildest thing that you have ever done?
- What was your opinion of the film Blair Witch Project?
I can see the validity of (4) and (7), given that they’re generally asked at sales jobs and software jobs respectively, but as far as I can tell the others are all basically nonsense. I’ve no idea how I’d answer them if I was asked. How about you?