How would you feel about a credit card-reader at a wedding?

In another thread, I questioned the decency of requesting cash as a wedding gift, and many people felt that it was perfectly fine. Some even argued that it was wrong NOT to do so!
If indeed the tide has turned in this direction, it seems inevitable that it will go a short inch further. These days, many or most of us do the bulk of our financial transactions electronically. If I want to give someone cash, I have to either give them a stack of twenties, which seems a bit tacky, but that’s all most ATMs spit out, or I can endure the tedium of entering the bank or going through the drive-through to get a larger bill. If I write them a check, I have to know if either member of the couple is changing their name and whether they have a joint account, or write it to “Cash,” losing some measure of the security that should come with writing a check, plus, I have to make sure the correct amount of money remains in my account for up to six months, if they take their time to cash it. If I use a money order, I have to know their names, plus keep track of a paper receipt in case I learn later that the money order has been misplaced.
What better way to collect one’s wedding money than a card-reader connected to a smart phone or tablet? Members of the wedding party–the ushers, perhaps–can circulate around like Apple Store employees at the reception, armed with the proper electronics and an app for givers to enter their information.
Bear in mind, I’m not saying I like this idea… But it does make giving very convenient for guests, which is very important and also considerate, according to some. It’s practical, which some say can “never be tacky.” So could anyone think this is a good idea? Has anyone heard of this happening already?

I think a credit card reader would be tacky. Just send cash or a check. I think you’re thinking waaaay to hard about them changing their names. They’ll be smart enough to cash the checks before any name changing and even so, the bank will let them deposit them, it’s not a big deal. As for everything else, it’s no different then any other check. If they lose it, it’s their problem, book keeping is no different then when you write a rent check (or whatever other then people write one or two checks a month for). If that’s an issue, just send cash.

Anyways, a check or cash are pretty standard for weddings, I think a credit card reader would be not only odd, but unexpected and probably unused since everyone would have come prepared. It would be like getting to the reception and then seeing a list of gifts the couple wants.

Well the problem of it being unexpected is easily addressed. Since yesterday’s etiquette has been discarded, there’s nothing standing in the way of putting it right on the invitation. There could be a way to PayPal the money on the wedding website and mention that cards can be read at the location for those that don’t want the tiresome work of entering their card number in advance, or are waiting to see what kind of spread the bride and groom are providing before settling on an amount.

The reader can be mounted in the cleavage of the life sized bride cutout.

Typically cash or checks come with a thoughtful card, which provides a “personal” element to the gift.

That said, it’s not unusual for couples to have online “honeymoon registries” where you can contribute to some part of the honeymoon, presumably electronically. I think it’s a little on the tacky side, but some people enjoy treating the couple to a dinner or a massage or something.

You can type your message into the tablet or even have it take video of you expressing your good wishes.

Love the cleavage reader, but a groom cut-out with buttcheek option should be available as well!

Are you trying to make your point that giving cash at a wedding is tacky? Because I think you told us in the last thread, we get it, you think cash is tacky.

Also, in case this is a real question, no, it’s not common, and I work in the wedding industry. People do have “honeymoon registries” or “home renovation registries,” which is pretty much the same as giving cash.

It is tacky to ask for gifts or request cash. Putting gift information on the invitation itself can look like a gift grab. It is not tacky to give cash or cheques as a gift, and in some cultures, pretty much a requirement.

Just don’t go to the wedding if you think it’s tacky, for heaven’s sake. It’s an invitation, not a summons.

Which part “isn’t common,” stating a desire for cash, or taking credit cards? Because the former is common, both in my experience and in the reports of others, and I didn’t ask if the latter was common, only whether it was occurring yet at all.
Yes, I think asking for cash is tacky, but this is a separate question. If asking for cash is NOT tacky, and some people definitely do believe that it isn’t, then is it tacky to take credit cards, and if so, why?
If not, or if we are going in that direction anyway, then there’s profit to be made, decency be damned!

(You know, I’m starting to sincerely look forward to your threads!)

This is possible. There are those tiny card attachment items that plug unto smart phones and with some crafty silk seam-stitching, both together could be attached to the bride’s garter, holster-style!
From then on, its just a quick card-swipe under her dress, check your account balance with your smart-phone and you can enjoy the service with a vacuous smile! The payment received email could even be programed
with a stylized ‘Thank You Card’ stationary and font. cue Citibank’s “Keep-on-keepin-on” head-bopping theme.

This would be for smaller gatherings, though. Church-type weddings, which are more common, require heavier duty equipment to allow a faster flow of patrons both in and out. Certain larger metropolitan areas like NYC manage large flows
of paying customers with turnstiles. The initial capital outlay would likely be off-set in a year by use at regular services, for which entrance dollar amounts could be lowered from behind the podium. An LED Tote-Board display could also be
installed behind the pulpit as an option to inspire that weeks The Word Of Og sermon as well as to forecast fiscal intake for the coming quarter. Sure, a hard-wired system would have to be installed in some older structures, but with the
thought of all that increased income, what preacher wouldn’t allow some hard-wood drilling to place a new server in his rectory?

Now, I know that this doesn’t solve the problem of funds and discounts for people who, due to age, friendship, and during the normal course of doing business, attend lots of weddings.
Thats why I propose a new way of paying: The Matro-Card.

The Matro-card, which can be reloaded at any Matro Pay Station, offers qualifying guests a 15% savings on the cost of wedding admissions over the course of one standard matrimonial year. Of course most savings would be realized
at off-peak matrimonial hours, M-F, and with the month of June excluded altogether. It also would allow for repeated swiping for families using one card and of course at least one pay-gate would be installed to make the services
handicapped accessible and at no extra charge…! “Jesus may have made the lame walk, but with Matro-card, You Don’t Have To…!”

Now there may be some additional costs, like a Church Authority Police Force to promote public safety, prevent wedding-jumping, discourage public urination, to ensure that there is no eating or drinking inside the pews,
and to make sure that there is no movement between the pews while the service is in progress. Still, I think that this is simply the logical extension of Wedding Progress, with the added benefit that services may finally run on time.

they would need a business checking acct associated with the credit card processing account. Plus they would have to pay the fees assessed on each transaction and a possible monthly fee for the processing account. It would probably cost them more to run the account than they would make.*
*I am a sales rep for a credit card processing company

If the couple gets in a big fight on their honeymoon and the marriage is annulled, would wedding guests be entitled to a charge-back??:confused:

What, break out a needle and thread, pioneer-style? What am I, a Chinese sweat-shop worker? In these post-post-modern times, we need a corporation to produce the iGarter. The mere existence of such a product, with its stamp of corporate approval will remove some of the last vestiges of self-respect that kept people’s hands dangling uselessly at their sides.
And don’t worry about the preachers/priests/ministers/cult-leaders, they can wear an iTithe under their robes and get in on the fiduciary action.

I don’t think PayPal or Square require a business account, and yes, there are fees, but so what? Businesses swallow those fees and so can the happy couple. It’s free money, so why worry about it being a few dollars less? The increased convenience might inspire greater donation. I hope this isn’t the reasoning you use to sell your services to businesses!

Wait.Are we talking wedding gifts or donations?

yep, and it would be a $30-15 charge for whoever is the designated checking account holder, no matter what the final decision on the wedding guest getting the money back. That is another cost to having a credit card processing account.

Gifts, donations, payment for services rendered… Whatever inspires you to dig deeply into your bank account or seek to extend your credit!

square or paypal work just fine for low volume processing. Which in this case I would assume it would be a low volume account, i.e. less than $400/transaction or less than $2100/mo. If they ended up processing more than this with Square, it would jump from the flat rate of 2.75% per transaction to a whopping 3.50%. Also any Amex cards would be charged on average the 3.50% Also, if for whatever reason the swiper on the phone doesn’t work then it is 3.50% + 15¢ for manually-entered transactions
https://squareup.com/help/en-us/article/5068-costs-and-fees
I work for a company that works with actual businesses, who take in more than $2500/mo on average, our rates start out at 1.38% and $10/mo, which is significantly less expensive than Square in the long run.

You know, I hadn’t thought of this. I mean, what’s the fun of a reception if people can’t have some catty/snarky gossip about the bride?

“Did you see that I-garter? Thats not Vera Wang, that’s sweatshop-gang!”
“I know…and that I-phone was new… how many versions ago?”
“She should have got an Android…”
“She did… you saw the groom…”
“Hope he comes with Apps.”
“He’d have to…”
“But that phone was definitely not made for that garter.”
“Like the curtains not matching the drapes is news?”
“It looked like that thing could only do 3G…”
“She must be used to 3; Steve was in my dorm at college, but he wasn’t a big man on campus.” pinky-flip

4 simultaneous beeps from texts on each of their phones

“Cashed already? That was fast.”
“Well, you know Wendy…”
knowing look
Group breaks up laughing

Well, there can be a different plan available for brides and grooms with long-term or high-dollar transaction needs. Prepaid credit cards also eat a percentage of the money, yet people think they are a dandy gift option.
Get married often and take advantage of the afore-suggested Matro-card’s affordable rates and services!

AnaMen, looks like a sound business plan :slight_smile: