Hungover? Hungry??

For most people the thought of eating food while being hung over is torture, but not for me.
When I wake up in the morning after what seemed like an endless night of drinking I have to eat. I can only eat Chinese food on these occasions. Egg drop soup, crab rangoon, etc.
Now I want to know what foods you eat during a hangover. Or am I the only one? Crazy? Perhaps.

I haven’t been drunk enough to have a hangover for the longest time. I can hardly remember what it’s like. I know that the first thing I have to have in my stomach is Gatorade. I’ll actually pour a glass of it before I go to bed when I’m drunk, so when I wake up in the middle of the night, I’ll have it next to me. That and an Aleve will stave off the hangover enough for me to go to Bob Evans and eat a big pile of sausage gravy and biscuits.

For some reason, a big glass of orange juice an hour or so after I drink kills most of a hangover. Drinking more OJ the next day takes care of the rest of it.

I really don’t get hungover anyway; just a mild headache and maybe a little dizziness as the leftover alchohol runs through my system. I’ll eat whatever the next day.

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.

Hangover food, let’s see… Big glass of Gatorade and something cheesy with hot sauce or salsa, like an omelet or a burrito. Sounds strange, but it scratches my itch. Doesn’t cure the hangover but makes it tolerable.

“The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.” - Humphrey Bogart

My hangover symptoms are usually stomach related, so I’ve learned from painful experience not to run out the next morning and grab all the Taco Bell bean burritos I can eat. Something bland usually does the trick, a turkey sub from Subway for example. The all-time best hangover food can be found at the B&G Cafe (affectionately refered to as the “barf and gag”) in Cincinnati.

Ginger Ale is really good.

The poster beneath me is really smart!

Hmmmm, starting to look like another “Ohio” thread.

“The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind.” - Humphrey Bogart

Never had a hangover. No idea why. Not complaining.

Yer pal,
Satan

You probably haven’t been drinking enough, Satan (just kidding, I’m sure). The secret to not getting a hangover is to keep yourself hydrated. Drink lots of water before, during and after boozing.

I get hangovers, especially if I mix beer and booze, although they usually don’t hit me until later in the day. Post drunk I like greasy food - french fries, cheeseburgers, onion rings.

Two words: Taco Bell. A couple of bean burritos and maybe a few soft tacos and I’m a new man. And cheap, too. (Well, yes, I am cheap, but I was refering to the meal.)

Or, if I have the energy to cook myself, a couple of fried eggs on toast, maybe some bacon, and a big ol’ glass of milk.

I’ve been hung over exactly once in my life. (Long story short: Crew party. Penalty shots. Too much tequila.)

When I woke up in the morning, I felt pretty sick. I ate a plain bagel, then threw up, after which I immediately felt much better.

Laugh hard; it’s a long way to the bank.

Dr. J’s Famous Three-Pronged Hangover Cure, approved in many double-blind studies by the UK College of Medicine, meaning that we had been out drinking doubles 'till we were blind the night before:

1. Have a big glass of water and a multi-vitamin.
  2. Take a shower. This is the most important step of the three, and omitting it voids the entire process.
  3. Go to Waffle House. Get a double order of hash browns, scattered, smothered, covered, topped, chopped, lopped, mopped, circumcised, spanked, humiliated, and forced into submission. And some bacon. And at least three cups of their delicate blend of only the finest Colombian coffees.

This process restores leeched-out nutrients, opens the pores to help eliminate toxins, and shows the GI tract who’s boss. You’ll feel 100% better by the time you get home from Waffle House. Or else you’ll just throw up some more.

Dr. J

Oh, and I’m glad Auraseer reminded me of a lesson that I feel only experience can teach–if at some point late in the evening you feel the urge to throw up, by all means, THROW UP.

If you resist, you will be sorry in the morning, and all the Waffle Houses in the world can’t help you.

Dr. J, board certified mixologist

Ok, bear with me.

Horseshoes-the only memorable cuisine to come out of my fair home town of Springfield, IL. Here’s what it is:

-2 pieces of toast, side by side on plate
-hamburger pattty (or chicken, ham, bacon, sausage, egg, shrimp, whatever) on top of each piece of toast
-heaps of french fries on top of previous (or hash browns/American fries for breakfast variants)
-entire mess covered in cheese sauce

For those with less gut capacity, a smaller version, a ponyshoe is also available (only one piece of toast & meat).

Yes, it’s a heart attack on a plate.

For some of my friends, the only hangover cure is a Whopper with everything.

“I’m still here, asshole!”-Angus Bethune

I’ve heard all the mantras about hangovers, especially that you should drink the liquor before the beer; does this really make that much of a difference? It seems like physically it wouldn’t, but i don’t have a lot of experience in this area.

Taco Bell and Jack in the Box. Gatorade is good, but so is Tang. Lotsa water before bed. Everyone here is pretty much on the right track.

I’d love to eat while hungover, but that would interfere with the dry heaves.

The best hangover cure I’ve encountered is a variation of heart attack on a plate. Bacon, eggs and hash browns are best, but any greasy, salty breakfast will do, washed down with orange juice and (not too strong) coffee. In a pinch, a bacon & egg McMuffin, hash browns, McCoffee and McOJ will do nicely.

My theory is that the influx of a different type of toxin (fat, nitrites, etc.) distracts your digestive system so that it forgets about the alcohol poisoning. Then the salt helps you to retain water so the dehydration symptoms go away. In any case, it works. The only downside is that you need someone else to either cook for you or drive you to McDonalds, and in accomplishing that, you will necessarily have to deal with another human being in a partially civil manner.

You guys are nuts! The first thing I must consume after a drinking is cottage cheese. Water helps, too, but not too much at once. I have evolved this technique through over 10 years of careful research and come to the conclusion that ANY alterations to the pattern con only lead to DISASTER.

The worst digression was the morning I woke up from a party, and could not find any cups. The ONLY thing to drink was canned Pepsi. This was a bad enough start, but then we tried to make it better by getting something to eat- AT CRYSTAL’S!

Oh, the agony. . .

Flypsyde: We have something similar to that here in Ohio; it’s called the Barnyard Buster.
Sunny side up egg on top of
sausage gravy on top of
biscuits on top of
hash browns
All with a huge glass of milk.
MMMmmmmm…