Hurricane 2: Electric Boogaloo

I’m back and safe!! Thanks to all for the concern, I’m feeling all soft and squishy inside :slight_smile:

We evacuated the city at 11am and it took THREE AND A-HALF HOURS to go about 30 miles to my parents house (we figured we’d stay there for a night and give the traffic a chance to get to Dublin (GA not Ireland, but Ireland would’ve been good, too) or Macon. Thankfully, ole’ Floyd passed us by. Interesting note, the mayor of Savannah is named Floyd, too!

As for the evacuation itself, things went reasonably well considering it’s the first we’ve had since way before I was born! David hit in '79, but had gone from a category 5 to category 1 by the time it hit. We got lots of wind and rain, old trees (up to 200 years old) torn out of the ground and a LOT of power outages. Since then the local power company has vastly improved their emegency response procedures. I think the evacuation could have gone smoother if we were sent out by either zip code or perhaps a grid system where certain parts of town would go at certain times. However, aside from the few people who decided if would be a good idea to race down the emergency lane and break in line and the motorcyclists who zipped up between two lanes of traffic, everything went well and most of the city was out by 8pm. Not bad considering there’s over 230,000 people in the metro area and with all the Floridians who were running as well.

I got back in town this morning (only took 45 minutes!) only to find that I had no power. My wife and I (the kids are staying with their grandparents further out and will return on Friday) went looking for a place to eat and, lo and behold, the power was on when got back!! YAY!! Air conditioning, satellite TV, and all of you wonderful posters.

Well, I got to put my house back together (remove the plastic, put pictures back on the walls, etc).

Thanks again for posting to me.
Trumpy the humbled.

Welcome back, Trumpy! And, please, don’t do that again! :slight_smile:

YAY!!!

Congratulations aren’t really in order, but it’s the only thing I can think of, so… congratulations on coming back to a whole house and not getting killed!!

Veni, Vidi, Visa … I came, I saw, I bought.

Shuuuuw! That was a close one! Glad you’re back.

I’m glad you’re ok, mon…hope the damage wasn’t too bad.

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.

Hey!

I’m okay, too!

Yer pal,
Satan

Yeah, yeah, Satan. I’m OK, you’re OK. I knew you were behind that psycobabble.

Trumpy - Glad to hear you got home. Equally glad to hear you weren’t one of the ones causing gridlock around Atlanta. Some evacuees have no consideration for us workin’ folk. :wink:

Glad you’re back, Trumpy! And glad you & your family are safe! :slight_smile: