I am an alcoholic

First of all, Sassy, best wishes. My thoughts are with you. I’ll think of you everytime my nicotine urges kick in. (16 days smokeless!) I’d pray for you, too if I thought there was anyone listening.

Also, I want to add a little to Irishman’s comments. First, it’s not unusual to question whether a support group is right for you. If you’re not sure, you should probably still ride it out a few weeks. It takes awhile to build the trust in the group in order to start getting any benefit from it. Second, if the first group you try doesn’t work, look for another group. AA is pretty widespread and there are almost certainly more than one group around.

Thirdly, after looking over the Rational Recovery website here’s the main difference between the two organizations:

AA relies on the support of the group and a belief in a higher-power to help the addict. RR, OTOH, seems to be more about encouraging personal strength and self-empowerment to overcome addictive behavior. Personally, I think both approaches are valid, depending on the individual. So take your pick.

Good luck.

Sassinator -

Add a big 'ol ME TOO! You’ll be in my thoughts and prayers, chica. I know you can beat this, and you know I’m here for you if you ever need to talk, whether it’s email, chat, ICQ, AIM, or whatever. hugs

Take it one day at a time Sassy. It’s hard work, but the light at the end of the tunnel is sunshine. You can see that you have lots of support here. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

I debated with myself for a bit as to whether to post this.

There’s much merit in what Omni-s said. To paraphrase an old AA saying, “What do you get if you take a drunken thief and sober 'im up? A sober thief.” Uh, I’m not calling you a thief, Sassy. I think the point is that underlying problems can lead one to seek solace in temporarily numbing solutions. That’s understandable, and fine, up to a point. Nobody begrudges the burn victim a shot of morphine. Some people pass through a period of unrest in their lives and seek such solace, but cast it off with relative ease, while others have a greater struggle abandoning whatever crutch they chose. I think AA’s idea is along the lines that you are susceptible to addiction to the substance and it’s usage follows a progressive pattern that gets one to the point of wildly unresponsible behavior. Their 12 step program requires a bit of theism, but they will absolutely get you through detox and first steps without requiring your soul.

I posted my previous response above recording very positive reflections on AA as I have seen what effect that program has had on the lives of my siblings. I have some problems with the AA philosophy, but those were overridden by my perception that you, Sassy, are at a point of decision and the immediate detox is probably more important this week than the ultimate path chosen. AA works for many, but Irishman and MrKnowItAll have worthwhile comments as well.

Yikes
A lot of us, including me, joke around about this, but it’s no laughing matter when the problem is real.

I can’t add very much to what has already been said, other than my complete support for your efforts. It’s an overused cliche, but one day at a time is the way to look at it.

In reference to Omni’s comment, ‘drying out’ will definitely help you to step back and survey your life.

Good luck and be well.

My habit is to go back later and reread posts that I’ve made to make sure I’ve said what I wanted to say. Sometimes my wording is quite right. For example:

That didn’t come out right. What I meant was that it’s not unusual to question whether a particular support group is right for you. I certainly feel you should get into one right away. Then, ride out that group for awhile.

(I wonder if Ed Zotti can pick up any editional editting duties. Apparently, I could use some help.)

Damn. That should be “Sometimes my wording isn’t quite right.”

See what I mean.

ARGHHHH!!!

additional” not “editional”.

I’m going to bed.

Sassy, count me in with those sending you thoughts and prayers.

Hang in there. You can make your life, and the lives of those who love you, better by overcoming this. Please know that we care, and please come to us when you need a friendly ear (or a couple of thousand of 'em).

-Melin

My mother is an eight-year sober recovering alcoholic.

Girlfriend, please check AA out. Their facilities are not the prettiest or cleanest places you’ve ever been, but they’re a non-profit organization. Don’t let the appearance of the places where meetings are held deter you from attending. AA members are some of the coolest, most rational and completely amazing people I’ve ever met. They will not judge. They will listen and help.

Big hugs from Minnesota, Sassygirl. One day at a time.

Sassy, you recognize you have a problem and you show the will to correct it. This, in my humble layman’s opinion, may be the biggest step of all. It will take time, but I know you can do it. Don’t go down that road alone: seek out friends and professionals.

Sassy, I am so damned impressed. Let me add my small voice to the chorus of support in this thread. You have, as you have seen, a veritable army of good people pullin’ for you. Good luck, and good for you.

“Are you frightened of snakes?”
“Only if they dress up as werewolves.”
-Preacher

Best to you Sassy…you got a lot of people pulling for you. Most important: To Thine Own Self Be True

“Do or do not, there is no try” - Yoda

Sassy, beware if you’re quitting cold turkey as I did a few years ago, the after effects can be harsh indeed. You’d better contact AA and get some advice. I didn’t, I toughed it out, but it was a very very rough time in my life.

Good luck, kiddo. Just so you know, it can be done; it’s been 10 years since my last drink.

Like others have said, it ain’t easy. Do get help - doctor, counselor, AA - whatever works best for you. I didn’t do AA but I did go to a drug abuse counselor - and I had (and have) the support of a wonderful, loving partner.

And you’ll be astounded at the results. You’ll be amazed at how much better life is. You may have started drinking to forget your troubles, but after a while, most of the problems you have are caused by your drinking. It’s such a relief - and a pleasure - when you start to feel like a real human being again. And you will - I guarantee it.

Hang in there. You can do this.

Give your family physician a try, too. A variety of psychotheraputic drugs have been developed in the last few years. I know for a fact that a great deal of research is going on in finding ways to treat this problem. Your doctor may be of enormous help.

Sassy, I’m new to the board and don’t know you, but I saw your post and want to echo the sentiments I’ve seen here. It takes a lot of courage to admit you’ve got a problem, and even more to actually do something about it. I admire you tremendously and will be praying for you.