I am having such a great day!

After a lifetime of slacking and generally not doing much with my potential, this last year I’ve really been working at turning everything around and accomplishing what I want.

My friend Cory has been a huge inspiration in all of that. He is 21 years old, and has had a heart defect since childhood. A lifelong knowledge of early death combined with high-functioning autism has created a superhuman asskicking machine. Between mastering Muay Thai boxing, lecturing in Beijing, and becoming an expert on Nietzsche and getting his PhD in logic (in the process publishing a paper that placed him as a candidate for the Fields Medal), he’s found time to go to law at NYU and earned a high-paying job as a sabremetrician for a major league baseball team.

Did I mention he’s donated millions out of his own family fortune to fight for causes he believes in ranging from gay rights to Doctors without Borders?

I figured, if he can do all that, I can at least eat right and study. So I have. My entire life, I never took a single note in class. I never did homework and always turned in projects or papers late. You didn’t want me in your group–I would do none of the work and insist on being the one doing the presentation.

Today, I got back my midterm grades. Three Bs and two A+s. I’ve got a long way to go, but it’s a far cry from the slew of D’s that I always struggled to bring up to a C by finals week.

Today, my credit card company raised my limit from $1500 to $2400. I haven’t paid a single bill late in the entire time I’ve had my card and my credit is starting to reflect that responsibility.

Today, I passed my weight goal. I tipped the scale at just below 139.8–to put this into perspective, I haven’t weighed this little since seventh grade. My bodyfat percentage is 9% and dropping, while my strength has increased 2-3x. The change is, well, dramatic.

Pizza sales in the restaurant where I work are on the rise, and it’s all thanks to my wrestling control of the menu from the head chef. I recently got a raise and was offered a promotion which I turned down because it didn’t offer as much creative freedom.

So you know what? I’m going to brag on the internet. I can’t do it IRL and I’m just exploding with pride and have to share it with someone. And the weather is gorgeous right now. I’m rewarding myself by skipping class, lying in a hammock and reading all afternoon. I’ve earned it, damnit.

Dude - way cool. I’m happy for ya.

Good for you! You look and sound very happy. And kudos to your friend; he sounds like a remarkable person.

Cool beans. Bottle that fire and keep it handy for the dark times!

Sorry, I didn’t intend on coming off so dreary :eek:

Well I’d much rather have you make me a pizza than have your friend punch me in the face.

I completely echo what Ellen Cherry said, but have to add that you were adorable even with the Freshman 15. Enjoy your book and tell your friend that the world needs more people like him. Good job all the way 'round!

My first response, on seeing your pictures: Woo-hoo! Maybe I am a chickenhawk!!

That being said, I am so, so proud of you; most of all, for this one thing: you took inspiration from someone you know. You saw his example, were paying attention, thought about it, and then applied it to your own life. Believe it or not, it’s really unusual for people to do that. They usually get stuck somewhere between “paying attention” and “introspective”.

I hope my kid does as well. And, you are awful cute!

Congratulations on your success!! And good on you for taking the time to appreciate your success and celebrate it. That’s the part I’m really not very good at, so it’s nice to see someone doing that well.

I think most people see a superachiever and think, “Gee, you’re so lucky.” Good for you for getting an incredible message from your friend. Good for you for doing something with it.

You big stud.

Congratulations! Wishing you continued success and joy in the future. :slight_smile:

You too, eh?

Congrats on getting yourself pointed in the right direction. :slight_smile:

Heh, I guess all I wanted was a “good job.” You guys are really good at that. Thanks.