[QUOTE=Otto]
But it’s not his choice, not his informed choice. Yes, if he’s fully informed of his legal rights by his non-conflicted advocate and after having been so advised chooses to accept less than what he’s legally entitled to, then more power to him for making that decision for whatever reason. That’s not even close to what’s being described here. Here, his advocate is mired in an inescapable conflict of interest. His advocate knows that he’s entitled to more than what’s being offered and is actively engaged in a conspiracy with the other spouse to conceal that information. The lawyer should be disbarred. If the wife isn’t subject to criminal sanctions for engaging in the conspiracy and fraud then I hope the judge finds out about it and tosses her ass in jail for civil contempt for a good long stretch, in a cell right next to the lawyer.
[/QUOTE]
Yes. I get that. I didn’t reiterate it because the point had been made several times already in the thread.
Dude should get his own lawyer. If he chooses NOT to, though, that’s his problem. Sure, I think the OP should encourage if not force her future ex-hub to seek his own representation, but you can’t save people from their own incompetence or laziness or whatever.
Like most personal advice threads here on the SDMB, none of us really know the whole story of what’s going on.

In my current relationship, we were both separated when we met and didn’t break up each other’s marriages.