[QUOTE=PunditLisa]
When you get married you cannot avoid co-mingling assets. If you don’t want to co-mingle your assets (and liabilities), then don’t get married.
From this OP and the link to the other thread, it seems that FoxyLady has real issues with sharing. She doesn’t want her current lover to pay alimony to his wife, nor does she want her current husband to get what he is legally entitled to take away from the marriage.
I’ve seen this happen in so many divorces. People get so wrapped up in what is “fair” and have this imaginary ledger where everything is divided into “hers” and “his” which completely flies in the face of what a marriage is supposed to be.
The fact is that FoxyLady married this guy voluntarily and whether he is a dead beat or not, he is legally entitled to x amount of dollars. Now if he wants to voluntarily settle for less, so be it. And maybe, when he knows all the facts, he will still consider the $20k to be a nice gift and part amicably. But, morally speaking, she should be completely upfront with him, the father of her child. (And legally speaking, her attorney should make it 100% clear that she represents FoxyLady’s interests alone.)
No matter what, I think FoxyLady ought to either re-examine her “what’s mine is mine” mentality before ever entering another marriage. If she wants to keep all her stuff, then she should remain single. There’s not a thing wrong with that.
[/QUOTE]
I’m not sure that the distribution of assets is as cut and dried as everyone is making it out to be. I don’t know what state Foxy is in but from what I recall of the Virginia statute, there are a great deal of factors that the judge gets to weigh. The judge can look at the contributions of the various parties to the marriage before he decides. Also what does the premarital agreement say with respect to any property acquired in the marriage? If there were a simple one size fits all formula to divorce then it wouldn’t be such a lucrative field to be in.
With regards to the attorney, hopefully she made it very clear to your husband that she is your attorney and that she does not represent his interests.
*Note. I am not your attorney, you are not my client. I am not licensed in your state, I don’t know what state you are in and I’d really rather not. I don’t know much about divorce law just the bare minumum I need to know. Only a moron gets legal advice on the internet. For you all you know I could be a monkey with access to a computer who is taking a break from his busy schedule of flinging feces at tourists.