I don't know what to do with my life...

The JET program already exists for people who want to do this. It is ridiculously competitive and pretty expensive. Without any professional connections, and not speaking the native language, this is a horrible and impractical idea.

My God, has no one said it yet?

One word, Paul: Plastics.

Are you smart at all? Law school’s a nice way to avoid the real world for 3 more years and get skills you can use in a high-paying job.

But not a very good college. Maybe you could find another school and learn the English language.

You are graduating from college.

Could you tell us what school you went to? He might like to avoid it.

Dictionary sez:

Now, maybe this board is as formal as your writing gets, but for most of us, it’s an informal place to hang out. His usage was perfectly cromulent.

JET is only applicable in Japan, and as you may know Asia is a big country. There are plenty of places in Asia to teach English and make a living. if you’re doing it to fund learning the language, culture, etc and focus on that then it’s pretty productive. Going to Asia to bang local ho’s and waking up 10 years later with a bad liver, a painful burning sensation and zero language skills isn’t overly helpful. If you’re going to do that, pull the plug in 2 years and go to grad school where it counts as a valuable life experience.

Even better is going abroad, and teaching English or something to get settled, and then exploring a whole plethoria of various opportunities. One can luck into some pretty interesting jobs doing very cool things and take it from there.

Or you could just become an investment banker. If you are aggressive, you’re background sounds about right.

In Soviet Union and proper English, college graduates you!

“Mrs. Robinson, if you don’t mind my saying so, this conversation is getting a little strange.”

Whatever you do, ImNotPaulAvery, do not run away with a just married Katharine Ross. Or buy an Alfa Romeo Spyder.

Stranger

I first read “I don’t know what to do with my wife”.:smiley:

There’s a proverb that goes something like this: Do the job you like, and you’ll never work a day in your life.

I have two passions in my life: Flying and filmmaking. I wish I had remembered that proverb when I was young. I could own my own FBO now (I never wanted to be an airline pilot), or be a successful filmmaker. But ‘I need a job – any job – now!’ So I got into data. I’ve got my pilot’s license for airplanes and helicopters, and I’ve worked on a few films. But both things are expensive, and it’s hard to do the filmmaking in particular when you have a steady job. Had I pursued one of the things I really, really live for, people would be paying me to to do them. Now I’m on the downhill side, and I’ll most likely be dead in 40 or 50 years – and incapable of flying or filmmaking long before that.

If I could offer advice to young people, I’d say to follow your passion. If you don’t know what to do, do what you like.

That was beautiful.

No particular offense to the OP, but the onslaught of “woe is me!” threads lately is really harshing my buzz. Are we in an undeclared board war with alt.support.depression.undiagnosed?

It’s probably just S.A.D.

Forget the “grand divine master plan”.
Develop a 2 year and a 5 year plan.
Make it your business to go out and make some mistakes.
Welcome to the world, babycake.

It’s a start.

Nailed it in one.