[QUOTE=Antonius Block]
[li]To expand on Cowgirl Jules’ “Time for a beer”… not just you, Diosa, but is there any way that you could get your parents and your professors to interact socially? (Do your profs need new cars?) Is there an Open House at the University? [This being the US not the UK, I realize that it’s much harder to arrange acceptable academic / professional socialization with alcohol as a lubricant, which was not a problem in my own case.] [/li][/quote]
Well, the thing about that is the simple fact that it isn’t my professors that my father is unhappy with, but rather me. And trust me, since primary school my dad has heard nothing but praise about me from oodles of people, but it doesn’t change the fact that he inwardly thinks I’m over my head and bound towards failure.
Frankly, I got more than enough of him walking up to my high school teachers and telling them I just wasn’t smart enough to be in X or Y honors or AP class. The teachers would always correct him and say I was one of the brightest, but he still retained his belief. I’d rather not have the embarrassment of my professors coming up to me (much like many high school teachers did) and saying, “So. . . what’s with your dad? Why doesn’t he believe you’re intelligent enough?” Strangely enough, tons of people also regularly come up to me and say that my dad ALWAYS talks about how smart I am to them. Mmm kay. Makes no sense to me.
[QUOTE=Antonius Block]
[li]How close are you to getting the B.A.s? Are you sure that a Ph. D is in fact the right thing to aim for? Would your Dad be happier if he heard that your main aim was a Master’s degree first? [Note: a Ph. D. is not always the best thing to have. In some fields - such as hard science (my own) – it’s a definite plus, but in some fields it can be seen as the refuge of a “scholarly type with her/his head in the clouds”. Doesn’t matter if it’s true or not, perception counts. On a couple of occasions while applying for specific jobs, I’ve left the Doctorate off the resume entirely. YMMV, of course.][/li][/quote]
I am presently at the end of the first quarter of my third year at the University. Meaning I’m a junior and have a year of classes left. In fact, even though I’ve got TWO majors, I’ll be graduating at least a quarter or so early. Hell, I’ve got friends with one major that aren’t able to make it out of here in less than 5 years because they have decided to take their sweet time.
Dad’s happiness doesn’t really matter to me, honestly. He’s not going to be paying out a dime for my future education, so he can think whatever he wants. I mean, it still hurts that he thinks I’m incapable, but I’m not going to stifle myself just for him. And no, me getting just a Masters wouldn’t make a difference- he still thinks that is beyond me.
Honestly, I’m not entirely sure what I want to be yet, but I’m 20 years old. At 20, I’m not going to stress myself out over what I want to be doing in another 30 years, but rather I’m going to focus on what I enjoy and try to work those things into a semi decent, but flexible long term plan. As far as a PhD goes, it’s just something I’ve wanted to do since I was a little girl. I could just get an MA, but I’ve been told that there is a ton more funding if I jump right into a PhD program right off the bat. Plus, I really like the idea of becoming a professor- I like to hear myself talk, I like to help people learn, and I like to get people excited about what I’m excited about.
Frankly, there isn’t a whole lot I can do with a BA in Poli Sci and a BA in History. One way or the other, it seems I’d need at least some sort of graduate program (either a Master’s or perhaps law school) to really make anything of my undergraduate degrees. I like studying and I love learning. It just seems awesome to me that I might have the opportunity to spend the next several years learning, traveling, and reading about what I love. It’s way more exciting than the prospect of working at a used car dealership, that’s for sure. 
[QUOTE=Antonius Block]
[li]Ever thought of leaving Bakersfield? I know you have family / friends / roots there, of course, but your situation – which I suspect is not unique in Bakersfield – might be easier in a more cosmopolitan environment. I’m sure that you’ve spent time in the SF Bay Area, Greater L.A., and San Diego. Are any of those an option? Trust me, where I live (SF Bay Area), the problems outlined in your OP would be the least of your worries.
[/li][/list]
[/QUOTE]
Oh dear, I have no intention of staying here for any type of graduate program. I’m probably one of the few people that actually likes Bakersfield, but I’m fully aware that the opportunity pool for education is more than a smidge limited here.
I was accepted to several large programs out of highschool: Loyola, Georgetown, etc. I decided to stay here because I knew my ultimate goal involved graduate programs and that can be more than a little costly. Georgetown would have run my dad almost $40,000 a year- money he could pay, but I’d feel like a bit of a jerk making him shell that out, even for an education. I figured if I stuck around here and did my undergraduate cheap (less than $5000 a year), I might be able to get some help later on.
That said, I don’t want his help if he’s so bent on the idea that I’m going to fail. I know I probably sound like a stubborn little kid, but I only want the help from people that believe in me. If those people are the program coordinators at the university or maybe a scholarship committee, even better. I’ve accepted that I might need to take out some significant student loans, but I don’t care. I can’t imagine something being more worth going in to debt over than a good education and years spent doing something you love. I mean, obviously the ideal is that I get substantial funding from whatever program I join, but I am a realist too.
So yeah, I fully intend to get the heck out of dodge. I am actually starting my search for programs right around now, as that will give me a year or so before applications are due. Because I want to specialize in the military history area or securities studies, it’s a bit tougher to find programs, but I’m looking. I certainly wouldn’t mind staying somewhere in California (not only do I love the state, but in-state tuition, woo hoo!), but if I find something good elsewhere I’m more than happy to head out. There are even a few really cool looking programs in Europe that are a possibility. I totally see this as an opportunity that I will likely never have again, so I’m really excited. I wish I can say I had support from my dad on the issue, but if he isn’t going to be there for me I’m not going to sweat it.
World’s longest post! Huzzah!