[QUOTE=DiosaBellissima]
Pretty damn M&P to most, I’d imagine.
What the hell is with everyone calling me stupid lately or effectively telling me I’ll amount to nothing? Increasingly, people are telling me I shouldn’t go to graduate school- hell, a good chunk of them are telling me I shouldn’t even continue in college for my BA degrees**.
People are telling me I should go find a nice man to take care of me. What the hell is that? Seriously?
Since when is wanting to do something with my life other than be someone’s house bitch a bad thing? Why is it if I’m not absolutely perfect, I’m apparently a failure at everything? According to these people, because I’m not striving for mediocrity at a leisurely pace, I’m obviously not doing anything worthwhile with my life.
And you know, I logically know anyone who says any of the above is a complete moron that I ought to pay no attention to, but when I get home from a final that I absolutely bombed and then I get bombarded with this crap for the millionth time, what am I supposed to think? And I know that I’m a stronger person than most- much more so- so it is no wonder so many people drop out of college or just run off and get married to someone they know will take care of them. Here I am, the strong person, genuinely questioning if I’m good enough or if I should even bother. My own father doesn’t believe me to be capable of much more than selling used cars. Used cars.
Since when is wanting to go to school a bad thing? Why is it whenever I try to bring anything into a discussion- particularly a discussion about an area that I specifically study- my opinion gets disregarded because I only got it from books? Since when is an education meaningless?
This is seriously tearing me apart. I know that opinions are like assholes, but you can only hear something so many times before it starts to genuinely eat at you. And maybe if I were just hearing these moronic suggestions from random idiots, but I’m getting called stupid by people I respect and care about.
Have any of you ever experienced something like this? What on earth did you do to not go crazy?
**Note: none of these people are my professors. My professors love me, think I’m a great writer, and think I am more than capable of working towards my PhD. The naysayers are my dad (who honest to Og told me I should use me two BA degrees-- History and Poli Sci-- to sell used cars or work for a big corporation!), my friends, etc.
[/QUOTE]
Your father sounds like a silly, old-school guy who is probably jealous (what’s his educational background?). His opinion, as much as it may hurt or annoy, really doesn’t make a difference. You can’t please everyone. If my dad told me I was stupid, I’d probably not spend any time with him. I mean, we’re talking basic respect here. If you can’t talk to him about his rude, disrespectful behavior, minimize the time you spend with his toxic self. You’re in charge of your life now.


