As an aside, there is a great deal below that I disagree with. I know Trunk means well, but I just want to add an alternative viewpoint.
If you are going to go to grad school, you simply do not enroll in any program that won’t fully fund you. In the humanities you might have to pay for your first year, but that should be it. There are many fine grad programs, especially in the midwest, where you can enter and emerge with a minimum of debt and at least decent job prospects. If you go into debt for the tune of $80k, then, quite frankly, you are an idiot.
I cannot think of any kind of degree that guarantees a better position after than before. An acquaintance of mine got a shiny graduate degree in chemistry from a top school and can’t get anything more than a molecule monkey job. I have recruited both for my company in general and for positions that report to me. There are plenty of reasonably qualified and utterly unemployed MBAs out there.
No matter what you do, you take your chances. By the time you finish your engineering degree, the work you trained for might have left the country. I am sure you get the idea.
Second, professors at competitive schools do not recommend grad school in general, especially in the humanities. They are well aware of both the rigors of the education and of the tiny job prospects afterwards. They are also well aware of the economics of their profession. The more qualified PhDs there are without tenure-track jobs, the more likely their own teaching burden can be assumed by underpaid adjuncts. Top schools have been downsizing their PhD programs because they are well aware of the deprofessionalization of higher education in a sadly increasing number of fields. You don’t go to grad school in the humanities simply if you love the stuff; you go if you are willing to fucking starve for it. Odds are, you will starve one day.
I say this as someone looking forward to returning for his PhD in the humanities as soon as I have met my savings and career goals in the private sector. I have always wanted to be a professor, and I still plan to. But the best decision I ever made was not doing it right after college.
[QUOTE=Trunk]
Well, maybe they know people like some people I know. . .
They decided to go to graduate school in their 20’s, got another 80 grand in debt, spent a couple years doing post docs, and still wound up married and pregnant in their 30s staying home with the kids while Dad went to work to pay off the debt she racked up deconstructing James Joyce (or whatever the hell it is people in English Lit. school do).
I spent my 20s in grad school, but every cent of it was paid for, and every degree guaranteed a better position coming out.
I’m sure the modern mindset towards education is vastly superior to an older mindset, but it’s still possible to take that too far. A college is just as happy to take your money and not give you a worthwhile product in return as any other business.
What do you think of the possibility of staying in school for 4 more years and realizing you don’t have the horses for the Ph.D and so you drop out, barely more qualified for any job you’re not qualified for now?
What happens if you do get that Ph.D? You’re 30, coming out of school with a mountain of debt, competing against 200 other applicants for the same $35,000 a year Post Doc position at Middle Ozarks Community College.
Of COURSE professors recommend grad school. That’s their life, their livelihood. They keep the mythical status of grad school and the Ph.D. propped up. They have to for their egos.
Besides, what’s wrong with selling used cars?
If you want to write, go live a life. Sell used cars, and then write a story about the next Willy Loman.
[/QUOTE]