I don't like oatmeal, what should I eat instead? (and other diet questions)

From what I’ve heard… more smaller meals keep your metabolism in check. And you can pretty much drink as much water and eat as much green vegetables as you want, so it’s good to drink a cup of water and have a big salad (sans cheese and creamy dressing) before any meaty/fatty/junky meal/snack.

Three rounds, max. She’ll bob and weave for a couple rounds, but eventually he’ll get her on the ropes, start to work on the body, and her legs will just give out.

Well, 23 lbs in 14 months is certainly doable; that’s less than half a pound per week, and the general recommendation is that 1-2lbs/week can be done in a healthy and sustainable manner, assuming you’re carrying that as spare weight to begin with. I took off about 40 pounds in less than a year (and have kept it off for several years since, I went from a high of 212 to a very consistent 170-172, I’m a 5’10" 40 year old male). If your weight has been stable at your existing level of activity, losing 0.5lbs/week only means a calorie deficit of about 250 calories/day - you could get there by taking a brisk 40 minute walk each day in addition to whatever else you’re doing, or cutting out soda and that daily Snickers bar, that kind of thing. Small things really add up.

In my case I just modified my diet a bit (I am a member of Weight Watchers) and steadily increased my level of exercise. Given the relatively low weight loss that you’re looking at you don’t need to become a cardio monster or live at the gym, and while I’m not a dietician I kinda doubt that you need to do anything but eat a sensible, healthy diet in moderate portions (whole grains and complex carbohydrates, fresh fruits and veggies, lean dairy, lean protein, right amount of healthy fats, cut down on the excess sugar and junk food, watch your alcohol intake - I will bet that this is basically what your doctor would tell you).

If you’re serious about it I would advise keeping your mind focused on the fact that it’s not a temporary goal, you need to make simple changes that you can maintain for life; if you say “I want to lose 20 pounds by December” and then at the end of the year go back to whatever you were doing before, those 20 pounds will come back in a hurry; I’ve seen plenty of friends go through that - temporary changes lead to temporary success.

To the OP, if there’s a Trader Joe’s near you, they just (or at least I just recognized that they) released a high-fiber high-protein low-sugar cereal similar to Cheerios, called Joe’s O’s or something. My boyfriend hated them initially (I “accidentally” bought them instead of his regular Trader Joe’s honey-nut Cheerios) but said they’ve really grown on him. Another great for you cereal is Post Shredded Wheat - again, Trader Joe’s make a less-sugared frosted mini-wheat version of it, and also one that’s made with maple syrup (my personal favorite.) Post Shredded Wheat at your grocery store also has a bunch of newish flavors, like honey nut and vanilla.

For everyday healthy swaps, check Eat This, Not That! I have a website subscription; I recommend you check out a copy (or two, there are many) of their books at your library.

Four to six eggs per day is insane. You might gain muscle mass, but you’d also be heading for a heart attack with that amount of cholesterol.

Plus, no simple carbs after 6 (morning or evening?)? Why not, exactly?

For a high protein breakfast or snack, you could try kefir, if you like tart things. It’s low fat, too.