I found the silver lining

Daughter finally kicked her rotten boyfriend out of the house Friday night – she’s done this before and taken him back after he promises never to take another drink, yadda yadda yadda.

This time I think she’ll stick to it – mostly because his leaving means that she has no way to get to the Springsteen concert in Minneapolis tonight. She spent $300 for the tickets and there is no one else who can go. (It’s 400 miles from here.)

The silver lining is that she’ll be madder at him for making her miss the concert than she is because of the bruises. The marks, she forgets. Bruce, she won’t.

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

Well, Pam, if that’s what it takes. There are so many women who are in denial about being abused, because it’s scary and depressing to admit that you’re throwing away your love on someone who treats you like an animal. It’s safer to say, “Oh, he can’t help it; his dad hit him and it’s hard to break these patterns…” But her fanship of Springsteen doesn’t carry that kind of emotional baggage. Hopefully, this will fix him in her mind as “That SELFISH BASTARD who made me miss Bruce!” and from there it will be easier to see him objectively.

Shoot, I’d drive her if I lived nearby (and didn’t have to work tomorrow).

Remember, I’m pulling for you; we’re all in this together.
—Red Green