I heard commercials on Sirius programming this morning

I couldn’t believe my ears. There were three commercials inserted into Sirius broadcasts this morning.

They were the quickie kind: “This weather report brought to you by Finsterheim business schools of Maryland!” kind of thing. But it was three times by three different sponsors over the course of five minutes.

That’s it. I’ve always said that if Sirius goes the cable route and starts making us listen to commercials as well as pay for the dubious pleasure, I’m ditching them. And I will.

Was this on a real Sirius music channel? Like, 1 through 30 or whatever? Because those are the only channels that are really commercial free.

There wouldn’t be a weather report on a commercial free music station.

Shocked! Shocked I am, that a subscription-based service (of which there are free alternatives) would start also incuding advertising!

Oh…wait…

As I understand it the music chanels are the only ones that are commercial free.
What puzzles me is I saw an auto commercial (for Chevy I think) that said their van came equiped with Sirius satelight TV.

Now if I can get TV on my Sirius; I want to know about it. That would be too cool.
BTW: I have yet to hear any commercials on the (rock) stations that I listen to. YMMV.

If you check out the downloadable channel guide at www.sirius.com you’ll see that the only channels billed as commercial free are the music channels listed on the left hand side of the channel guide. The sports, entertainment, talk, etc. aren’t on that list, so I suspect that’s what your issue is.

[Johnny Carson]I did not know that.[/Johnny Carson]

I’ve only recently started listening to weather and I almost jumped out of my skin when I heard the commercial. Up until now I’ve only listened to the music options.

They changed their big band format to combine it with “Standards”, and now they’ve changed “Standards” to “Siriusly Sinatra”, and I hate Sinatra. That change really pissed me off, and had they started slipping commercials in with the music, I’d have bailed. It smacks too much of cable TV’s notorious M-O of starting off with niche appeal channels, then altering the content down to broad-based mass market garbage and adding a lot of advertising.