I just bought a PSP. What are your favorite games?

Yes, I am a man-child. Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way…

I bought NAMCO Museum Battle Collection. Nice, faithful re-creation of classic arcade games. Love it. Played Ms. Pac Man last night until my thumbs filed a formal complaint with OSHA.

I can’t wait to hit my neighborhood gaming store to get some more titles this weekend. What are your favorites for the PSP?

BUMP

I refuse to believe that Dopers don’t have an opinion on this.

We have an opinion, but us gamers are just too lazy to respond. :wink:

I bought my PSP pretty much just so I could play Mercury and Lumines. Mercury has you piloting blobs of the liquid metal around obstacle courses in kind of a futuristic/complicated “Labyrinth” game. Hard as hell toward the end, but very cool.

Lumines is a puzzler akin to Tetris with a music/rhythm slant to it. It’s from the same guy who created the Space Channel 5 and Rez games, so I knew I’d be first in line for it. It’s one of those that’s so simple it seems almost too easy, but there’s a lot more to it - and most everyone I know who played it got hooked immediately.

Another one I liked was Metal Gear: Acid. It’s a turn-based strategy-action card game, if that makes any sense. It’s nothing like the Metal Gear series on the PS1/PS2 (aside from the extra long narratives), but it’s very cool regardless, and a great portable game.

One to avoid? Smartbomb. Great idea, but terrible execution. The game is so poorly put together that it’s practically unplayable. I really can’t believe they let it out the door really.

That’s about all I’ve played really. Enjoy!

I think you picked a good time to pick up a PSP as there are finally some good games coming out for it.

Up until now I’ve kept myself entertained with Lumines and Untold Legends.

Untold Legends is a hack and slash game where the enemies drop items you can sell and/or upgrade yourself with. Sort of Baldur’s Gate lite.

I just picked up Grand Theft Auto-Liberty City stories.
I haven’t played it much yet, but it looks really slick with a full 3-d environment.
[Lumines hijack]
How are you supposed to get the 4x4 block under the puzzle solving portion?
[/Lumines hijack]

Short answer: quickly! Long answer:

[spoiler]IIRC the way to do it is like this:

X__X
X__X
X__X
XXXX

With the underlines being empty spaces. Once you get that, or close to it, you have to fill in the top before the clear bar comes by. I seem to recall doing it like this a couple times (you can picture the blocks here:

0X__X0
0X__X0
0X00X0
0XXXX0

At this point you need one like this to drop in the center:

XX

Which will result in:

0XXXX0
0X00X0
0X00X0
0XXXX0

As soon as the block in the center clears you have to work fast. A solid block with the color you need would be perfect:

XX
XX

0X__X0
0X__X0
0XXXX0
0XXXX0

Becomes

0XXXX0
0XXXX0
0XXXX0
0XXXX0

But a couple halfers work too:

X0
X0 and

0X
0X

Becomes

0___0
0___0
0XXXX0
0XXXX0
0XXXX0
0XXXX0[/spoiler]
Hope that makes a little sense. :wink:

Thanks. I’ll try that. What I was trying to do didn’t seem to work.

I was…

Starting like this.

X__X
X__X
X__X
XXXX

Then waited for a solid block followed by a half block. Then I would quickly fill in the holes with first the solid, then the half block before the line came by.
But the game doesn’t seem to find that acceptable.

Going to add another for Lumines.

Also. I have yet to really figure out how the Lumines Puzzle section works out either.

Clearbar = Timeline ?

Favorite thus far is Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee. Cartoony in style, but a pretty good golf simulation. I don’t have good twitch reflexes for it, though, so it makes me sad.

I want a good turn-based console RPG, dammit. Final Fantasy VII for PSP!

SSX is fricking AWESOME. It’s truly a console game on the hand held. Far exceeded my expectatoins.

Hot Shots Golf is really good, though repetitive.

Darkstalkers is really good.

Metal Gear Acid bites big time. Yes I new it was going to be a turn based card style game but the manual is mostly useless in telling you how to play the game.

Untold Legends is pretty good, though the random dungeon thing doesn’t work too well.

Lumines is really good. It can really drag on and on though because it’s a pretty slow game. We are talking hour long sessions on this thing and I suck.

I think the PSP overall has been a severe letdown. They better start pumping out games and forget about the UMD movies for a while.

Oh. When it comes out get Need for Speed: Most Wanted. I’m in the credits. :smiley:

It’s the only PSP game I’ve played, but it’s fun if you like racing games! Not just saying that because I worked on it, either. I don’t have a PSP but I’ll get the GameCube version when it comes out. Even though I’m not in the credits for that one.

I loooove the SSX series – it’s far and away my favorite on PS2 – but I am disappointed by the soundtrack for SSX on Tour. The grunge-rock aesthetic does nothing for me. Good to hear that it’s a good game, though – I may buy it and just disable the soundtrack.

I don’t think it’s been a letdown in toto, but the game selection is crappy. I don’t see a lot of games on the horizon, either, which is disappointing.