I just found my cat dead

Her name was Kitsy Qatl Jenkens. She was named after the a shape-changing god because of her mood swings, and Ms. Jenkins from In Living Color, since no one had a bad thing to say about her. She was somewhere between 18 and 19 years old (I don’t know exactly when she was born, I got her when she was a couple of months old).

I’ve known for months that she was getting slower and weaker and more unsteady, but she never appeared to be in any pain. She stopped eating her solid food about three weeks ago, but I found food that she would eat. But yesterday and today, nothing. I actually though she was dead earlier this evening – I went looking for her after not seeing her all day, and her body was distinctly cool to the touch. But when I grabbed her to pull her out from under the edge of the bed, she raised her head and gave me an annoyed look. So I left her alone, and thought maybe she felt so cool because she was almost directly underneath the window AC unit.

And now she’s dead.

I’m so sorry. It doesn’t matter how old they are, it’s still difficult.

I’m sorry.

Kipling said, in his wisdom,

“Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
of giving your heart to a dog to tear.”

Cats too. And horses, and ferrets, and…

It’s no use saying, “That’s the way of all life.” Sure it is…but it hurts.

The only thing to do is wait a while, so the pain loses its edge, and then…get another one, and start the whole damned cycle over again: joy, to comfort, to caring, to sorrow.

(Way cool cat name, by the way. T.S. Eliot would have approved. My favorite cat – eaten by coyotes many, many, many years ago – one of the less happy experiences of my life was finding the carcass afterward – was named “Pero.” This was because I was too young to know that the author of Puss In Boots was named “Perrault.” I only heard it as “Pero.” So it goes!)

Oh man. I’m so sorry. I don’t know how I would deal with that situation if it happened to me.

Any pain she felt is gone now, and she’s not sick anymore.

I’m sure someone more knowledgeable will come by soon to give you some practical advice.

I’d give you a hug remotely if I could. :frowning:

She lived a long life. All our cats ended up dead way before age 10 when I was growing up. Run over, eaten by dogs etc. RIP, Kitsy.

I heard Ms Jenkins peed behind the sofa when nobody was looking. But you didn’t hear that from me! :slight_smile:

I’m so sorry. In the past few years I’ve had to deal with losing at least four pushing getting close to 20 year old very well beloved pets. And another one or two aren’t far behind. Ugggh.

Its rough and it leaves a hole in the heart.

Glod Bless you and Ms Jenkins.

I went through almost the same thing about a year ago, when Qatl’s sister died, even though she was a year younger. She lad long-term medical issues and was taking medications that the vet told me would likely shorten her life, so I think she outlived the vet’s expectations.

Anyway, I am done with pets. I’m in my mid 50s and I don’t want the daily maintenance anymore, and I don’t want the shock and grief again in another 10 or 15 years when it might kill me. I suspect these two cats will be my last live-in companions until somebody sticks me in a home – should I be so unlucky as to live long enough not to be able to care for myself anymore.

I’m sure you are referring to the Ms. Jenkins on the TV show, not to my cat. :wink:

Not to mention that if you drop dead at home, they’ll probably eat your face off once they get hungry enough.

I vaguely remember there was a claim based on some kind of statistical data that said dogs were more loyal than cats. If they were locked in with a dead master, dogs would on average wait a day longer than cats before chowing down. I’ve looked for a cite for that since, but never seen it again.

I remember how depressed I was for days after my kitty died. You have my sympathies!

Of course one’s the same as the other to the master by that point.

But family members would probably prefer a less eaten body for the wake and funeral.

OTOH, if funeral costs were based on weight of the corpse, a pack of wolves would be ideal pets, from the family POV.

Well, that’s kind of a shame, but obviously you know your own situation best. Maybe you’ll think differently in a few months, but maybe not.

I live in a small apartment, and so can’t have pets. My sister lives in the country, on a ranch, and has dogs and cats; I love to visit and play with the critters. Best of both worlds (sort of like being a grandparent!)

As a compromise, maybe a fish tank? I used to keep a terrarium with some crabs; they were fun to take care of. I also had a small turtle for a while. Non-mammalian pets are fun, but it doesn’t hurt quite as much when they die.

Anyway, sympathy and comfort in this time of loss.

Sorry about that. Kitsy Qatl, be at peace.

I’m so very sorry. The Dark One and Bluey send their condolences, too.

I’m sorry for your loss. RIP, Kitsy. :frowning:

Jesus, that sucks. I’ve got one old cat and one six year old cat. I’m getting old too, and I think these may be my last pets.

Sorry for your loss.

I’m so sorry for your furry, purry loss. :frowning:

I’m sure my blond tabby Tio will save a catnip mouse for Kitsy in Cat Heaven.

So sorry about your kitty.

Oh, and we’ve all made those “This will be my last pet” proclamations when we’re grieving. I think it’s cute how you think you have a choice in the matter.

Take care.