i just got another exotic job

“Is that a Large Hadron Collider, or are you just excited to see me?”

Seconding that I would read your book! I expect you have a fine memory of details when it comes to stories of people and places and how those people came to be at those places. Good luck to you!

Sounds like there was a stong interaction there.

fifty-six, can I be you if I grow up?

I would read your book, and would also add that your life sounds like it would be better to watch than 90% of the stuff on the Food Network.

Do NOT ring the bell at the roadhouse in Akutan unless you want to buy everyone in the bar a drink!
Learn from my experience :smiley:

Oh, and take a picture of the ‘airport’ for your collection. Shouldn’t be hard to fit 20 feet of concrete ramp up out of the water into the shot.

Have you all read some of my prison accounts here on the dope and my struggles with drugs and alchohol?

I will include them in the book. I am largely bi-polar and with cooking on both poles I am sure it will intrest many. In general conversation prison life seems to be the most complelling, I am unusualy honest and unapologetic in my life and my experiences.

I do And I have some extensive notes. Plus just living in Homer Alaska. A true end of the road town sure can bring up some intresting people and situations. People dont find them self here by accedent. We all ran away from something. And the Aleutions are to Alaskans as Alaska is to the Lower 48.

I never grew up, so that is out of the question. I am still mostly a 14 year old boy

As to the Food Network It is much more dramatic I can at least tell you that.

Plus I am tottering on a severe depression. It is not always fun and games. Just mostly.

Bell ringing at a bar in Alaska is always a call to buy the house a round. Last night I was in the bathroom Of the Down East Saloon taking a piss and I hear the bell. I pissed on my leg and almost zipped my junk in the zipper trying to get to the bar in time to be included. I was. Well After I told the bar what happened the croud laughed and auto included me.

I will take many photos to add to my collection. The dutch Harbor Airport is a real interesting one. I belive it is the smallest runway that a full size aircraft can land on.The airport’s runway is bordered on one side by a steep drop off into the ocean and the side of a hill on the other. Both ends drop off into open water.

Dutch Harbor is my favorite airport ever. The take-offs and landings are amazing, because it pretty much looks like you’re landing on water or are going to drop into it. Which…wouldn’t matter to most of the planes anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

My first trip I was hanging out on a jetty waiting for my hop to Akutan and someone comes walking down the jetty…it’s someone I knew 10 years ago at a ski resort we’d both worked at. Funny as hell: middle of nowhere, as far from anywhere as I’ve ever been, totally alone and don’t know anyone, never been there before, and up walks someone I used to work with. Amazing. :stuck_out_tongue:

Will stay tuned. Want to come to Alaska. My ex had a friend up there who lived **totally without money. ** Swears to god. Fished, hunted, etc.
Congrats on your job.
Curious about the sobriety dealio.

Wow! I don’t even have to write the joke. I hope it will be the title of your book.

The title is “The bi-polar cook” hopefully off to Antartica next year and finish it up. I am in no super rush as it is a hard job to get. I do however have the contacts, relevent experience and I live in alaska. The main caterer is an alaskan corperation. I can get a face to face interview with out much travel.
As for the sobriety dealio my update is not scheduled for several more months. I will put it in the pit like I said so we can call each other names.

Uh, please don’t follow this advice.
(No offense Lamar but it wouldn’t be the same.)

Well I arrived safely. The airport is a small concrete pad with a ramp into the water.
The plane 1939 Grummon Goose. Word is it was purchased from a museum for 1 million dollars. It was the only aircraft that would be able to support the community and processing plant. And cheaper than building a legit runway. They are building a legitimate airport on the next Island over, Akun, right now.
Btw there is major volcanic activity. Cleavland volcano about 60 miles from here is unusually active. I am done cooking dinner and considering hiking up a nearby tall peak and observe the activity.

I wonder if that was the same Goose I rode in on :slight_smile: I loved that thing; I know diddly about planes, but never forgot that Goose, with 4 of us in the ‘back’ - open fuselage and rolling all over the place. Was awesome.

Lots of activity up there, usually. Only had one run-in myself, when …damn, can’t remember the name…anyway, we got word that a volcano had spouted and for 12 hours or so we were on alert…everything running, facing into where we thought the wave would come from. Never did, but it was interesting anyway.

I am so envious right now :slight_smile: You might want to be saving them for your book <which I most definitely am hankering to read!> but I hope you get to share a pic or two. I’ve been in hot and dry northern mexic…I mean, southern california for the last 3 years and desperately wish I could island hop in that Goose again. :slight_smile: