I just lost a tooth (not sure if I need answer fast)

Three nights before Halloween. Well at least it didn’t happen to be at the 3 am witching hour.

Yes, now that your transmogrification is complete you could eat anything you like, but should you? Well, no. Please resist the temptation to cull the herd on Halloween tonight.

Something like this happened to my uncle recently and his dentist let him know he could not even get a cleaning without risking knocking the rest of the teeth out due to bone loss. He ended up getting bone implants (or whatever it’s called) and his whole mouth rebuilt at the cost of a new car.

What causes that kind of bone loss?

Age.

Sorry no, periodontal disease. l see plenty of old people with no bone loss and folks in their teens and twenties with severe bone loss. Been doing dentistry a long time. There is both a hygiene component and a genetic one.

I stand corrected.

I hope it wasn’t the longest human tooth ever! :eek:

I’ll defer to your knowledge. At any rate, bone loss caused this tooth loss (perhaps periodontal disease; I don’t know). Interesting that you mention genetics–my Dad had maybe half the teeth that God gave him; he very happily managed with dentures for the other half. I seem to be in the same boat, only I don’t have dentures.

Thanks for your input, Rsat. Since you seem to be a dental professional, I may wish to get some general knowledge from you in this matter, but it would be up to you and it would take place via PM. I will, of course, rely on my dentist for anything pertaining to my mouth in particular. But I don’t always understand what my dentist is telling me (yes, I know Latin, but it’s legal Latin, not medical Latin), so it would be nice to have a disinterested third party who can tell me what “bla-bla-bla” means in layman’s terms. Thanks again.

I am a dentist and happy to help. PM’s are fine but may not get prompt reply’s.